Wednesday, July 3, 2013

GOD’S GRACE IS SUFFICIENT!

WE NEED TO ASK GOD TO HELP US KEEP ETERNAL VALUES IN MIND


1 Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me;
fight against those who fight against me!
2 Take hold of shield and buckler
and rise for my help!
3 Draw the spear and javelin
against my pursuers!
Say to my soul,
“I am your salvation!”
4 Let them be put to shame and dishonor
who seek after my life!
Let them be turned back and disappointed
who devise evil against me! 

In this Psalm, David is asking God to come to his side. He is asking God to be the supreme Judge through his whole ordeal. Although David is being persecuted, he is not looking for personal vengeance, but for God to rescue him.

He is expecting the Lord to fight for him; he is looking to God to expose the evil behavior of his pursuers. He knows that he did not rejoice in the calamity of others, while he watches them rejoice in his trials.

As David asks for God’s intervention, he knows that God is righteous, and so he expects Him to act according to His character.

As he concludes the psalm, his ultimate desire is that the Lord will be praised, that even in his life God will be glorified.

27 Let those who delight in my righteousness
shout for joy and be glad
and say evermore,
“Great is the Lord,
who delights in the welfare of his servant!”
28 Then my tongue shall tell of your righteousness
and of your praise all the day long.


As we read this psalm, it could seem to us that there is almost arrogance in David’s requests. But the fact that he is asking God to judge shows that he recognizes that the Lord will be the ultimate judge.

Does this apply to us? Can we go to God, expecting Him to come to our rescue when we are mistreated?

David’s ultimate desire is the glory of God, and that must be our driving desire, as well. Often we seek reprieve or revenge for our own benefit. Eternal values, instead, need to be our driving desire.

Matthew 5:10-12
10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you. 

Hebrews 11:24-26
24 By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter, 25 choosing rather to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. 26 He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward. 

1 Peter 4:12-14
Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.13 But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. 14 If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. 

You may be going through a difficult situation, where you are sure that you are being mistreated for wrong reasons by ungodly people. Asking God to be vindicated for His glory is not wrong, but our goal should always be to live a life that points people towards the grace of God.

Is it easy? Well, I know that it’s not even possible in my own strength, but God can give us the strength to endure trials, for His glory.

How should we pray? We need to ask God to help us keep eternal values in mind, to be faithful to His Word, to be His instruments to encourage believers in their faith, and to attract unbelievers to see His strength and power in us.

The Apostle Paul learned his lesson:

2 Corinthians 12:7-10
7 So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited.8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me.9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 


May we learn to be content, as Paul did. As we go out today, knowing that there are those who desire evil for us or for other believers, may we remember that God’s grace is truly sufficient. 

No comments:

Post a Comment