Saturday, August 3, 2013

TODAY MY MOM WENT TO BE WITH THE LORD!

SHE WROTE THIS A FEW MONTHS AGO



I’m going Home!

“Mr. Standridge, bring your wife to the emergency room
immediately for a blood transfusion. The levels in her blood
are very low. We have already informed your doctor.”

HAD JUST FINISHED BLOOD TESTS IN A MEDICAL CENTER and things seemed really serious. I did not expect anything like this, even though, for a few weeks, I had been feeling pretty weak and with little energy. We went straight to the emergency room of a large hospital in Rome, close to home, and soon I was lying on a bed with a needle stuck in my arm and a nice bag of blood, which was followed by two more, transferring its liquid, drop by drop, into my veins.
Since then, I have been on a rollercoaster of news and surprises, hospitalization, other
blood tests, and also samples of bone marrow, that led to a diagnosis of acute myeloid leukemia, to which doctors have added the unpromising adjective “terminal”.
So today, without any particular pain and, apparently, still in good health and with a
good measure of strength, I find myself thinking in a very practical and realistic way, of my “going home with the Lord” when He wills. Perhaps very soon.

How have I reacted to a story like this?

Honestly, surprised and almost in disbelief. But even so, with HIS peace.
A few years ago, when I was invited to do Bible studies in a Conference for women, I said with a laugh that, given my age of more than 85, (soon I’m going to be 89), the  organizers would do well to also get a “spare tire” in case I had to decline the invitation. But honestly, given my health that I thought was disease-proof, I said it jokingly, as if I were actually immortal.
Today, the jokes are over and the reality is different. It is a reality of a certain sadness
(I’d be lying if I said otherwise), but also is very calm.
Sadness, because leukemia is a reality that speaks of separation from Bill, the only love
of my life, with whom I have spent more than 56 years, and have had the joy of serving the Lord with, in a kind of spiritual, as well as and also intellectual symbiosis. We shared a passion for the Word of God, the commitment of raising four children, and the responsibility of helping many to learn and grow in biblical faith. I know that after my departure Bill will feel a bit as though he was “mutilated”, but I know that his love for the Lord, His Word, and the Italians, will support him and help him serve as long as he has the strength. Of course I do not like, either, the idea of leaving our four children, three daughtersin- law and also a son-in-law, who love me and twelve grandchildren (one married) and two great-grandchildren, each one more lovely than the other.
But the moment of separation will come. However, my joy is that all have trusted
the Lord as their Savior and are therefore in his hands.

But now, let’s talk about the reasons for my peace of mind.

I came to know Jesus as Savior and Lord when I was 20 years old. Since then, the grace of God has surrounded me and the unmerited favor of the Lord has wrapped and protected me.
I know I’m saved, and my faith is based on the promises of God’s Word. One that
comforts me in particular is the letter of the Apostle Paul to Titus: “He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.” (Titus 3:5-7) What more than that could you want or hope for? Then I had the honor to receive from the Lord a clear call to serve full-time. I went to Bible school, I had teachers of great value, I have experienced the extraordinary time of evangelistic fervor and spiritual growth in Italy after the end of World War II. I was a part of the beginning of the new period of political freedom in Italy that gave us permission to start youth camps, summer schools, conferences and all kinds of activities that the Lord has blessed. I threw myself headlong into every new evangelistic project. My university studies prepared me to have a ministry of writing, and my heart led me to make available to the Lord every capacity that He had given me.

Over the years I learned to study and nourish myself in the Word of God.

I understood the importance of furthering knowledge in His truth, and rooted my faith in
obedience to what it says. Without a good supply of this type of knowledge, the Christian life can become very severe and be very flat.
I confess also that I have made many mistakes for which I had to ask forgiveness from
the Lord, from my loved ones, brothers and sisters, and I realized that forgiveness is the key to the Christian life. It is essential in both the human family and that of God.
He who does not forgive others has understood little of the love of God, but those who
practice the confession of their sins to God and asking for the pardon of all they have offended, know that the blood of Christ purifies them and allows them to walk in the light (1 John 1:8-10).
After so many years of walking with the Lord, I realized that “in me, in my flesh, Maria
Teresa, dwelleth no good thing” (Romans 7:18), but whatever I did that is good is what he has done for me and in me (Isaiah 26:12).
During a meditation given at a conference in Isola del Gran Sasso, Daniel, one of our
sons, stressed the fact that after the resurrection, Jesus bore in his body the marks of his suffering and death for us. The disciples had seen his scars and knew that, with his resurrected human body, Jesus ascended to heaven.
In the vision of Revelation, John later saw Him as a “lamb, standing, which seemed to
have been sacrificed” (5:6) and I, with myriads of believers (and hopefully with you) will behold for all eternity those signs of the price paid by Jesus for our salvation. Those signs will inspire us to worship Him in perfection.
This wonderful thought humbles me, but also fills me with great gratitude.

With love, Maria Teresa
ROME, MARCH 2013


Do you want to have my same certainties? Email: williamstandridge@libero.it

1 comment:

  1. Our first contact with Bill and Maria Teresa was in 1973. New to Italy, having come to minister the Gospel along with such "veterans" as they, we went through the little courtyard and into their offices where we met some of the staff and volunteers and began a friendship that would last for many years. The Standridges became both examples and encouragers over the years. We are saddened to hear of MT's Home going, but we rejoice for her even as we pray for the family in the grieving of a loved one's departure. How many times they opened their home and hearts to those of us who were newbies trying to find our way through the maze of new language, customs, culture and such. Lots of folks were rescued by their hospitality and ministry. Many thanks. MT was such a help in so many ways. Praise the Lord for the writings and speeches that have meant so much to so many. "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints." Baci e abracci alla famiglia. Ross & Sarah Stump

    ReplyDelete