Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I AM OVERWHELMED! WHERE WILL I GO?

Where will we get our strength?





Psalm 42:5

Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my salvation and my God.

The writer is looking inward, recognizing the state of his soul. It almost seems that he cannot shake that sense of discouragement and unrest within him. Have you felt like that? We don’t know his particular circumstances, but we certainly are aware of ours! The situation we are navigating seems to be without hope. The difficult people that we are dealing don’t seem to show any change. Our physical state does not seem to improve. At times, even our church situation can be overwhelming. We are overwhelmed by our sinfulness and or the sinfulness of others. Is there any hope?

The writer already knows the answer to his own question: he should be hoping in God! There are reasons to praise: he has a relationship with the living God, who is his salvation. He has given his life to Him and therefore has hope. But his struggles are not over.

Psalm 42:6,7
6 My soul is cast down within me;
therefore I remember you
from the land of Jordan and of Hermon,
from Mount Mizar.
7 Deep calls to deep
at the roar of your waterfalls;
all your breakers and your waves
have gone over me.

He is deeply discouraged and overwhelmed. He states that it is God’s waterfalls of trials and the waves of difficulties that He has ordained that are drowning him. Oh, how hurtful and difficult our sorrows and problems can be!

Psalm 42:8
By day the Lord commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me,
a prayer to the God of my life. 

Yet, the writer is faithful in reminding his heart about the truths that he knows: God’s love is steadfast. His love does not waver; it is eternal. God never stopped loving him during his trials, and this love is not dependent on his faithfulness but on the faithfulness of God. At night, probably because that is the time when desperation can be deeper, he reminds himself and his heart about his God by singing and praying. He is the God of his life, so he is faithful in rehearsing these truths to himself.

Psalm 42:9-10
I say to God, my rock:
“Why have you forgotten me?
Why do I go mourning
because of the oppression of the enemy?”
10 As with a deadly wound in my bones,
my adversaries taunt me,
while they say to me all the day long,
“Where is your God?” 

Again, thoughts of abandonment assail him. Has God forgotten him? Why does he have to be continuously dealing with the oppression of His enemies? Will this state ever end? And to add insult to injury, the same enemies who are causing his pain taunt him, mockingly asking where his God is. He is pushed into a corner; he is struggling to remain faithful to God in a situation where God seems to have abandoned him, and has to deal, at the same time, with those who are quick to make fun of him for his faith in God.

We live in a world that is God’s enemy; our hearts are easily discouraged when prolonged difficulties assail us. It is not easy! Some trials are going to be long, and some will never end while we are on earth! Where is our hope? Where will we get our strength?

Psalm 42:10-11
Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my salvation and my God. 

The writer, under the inspiration of God, asks the question again: why am I discouraged, why do I have so much turmoil? He needs to keep his mind and heart glued to the truth: His hope is in God, the One who has saved him, the One who deserves all his praise.

Dear friends, I wish I could say that trials will always end quickly or that they will end for sure. We often tend to think that if we are faithful, God will bring to an end our difficulties, but that is not necessarily true. God is gracious and does give us times of calm, but we cannot expect it or demand it.

Life is hard, so feed your heart and mind with the truth. Meditate upon the character of God: God is good, He is in control, He is wise, He is sovereign, and He loves us. Meditate on His purposes, which are perfect. Our lives on earth are short, and during them He is transforming us into the image of His Son, He is using us to attract others to Himself as we live and speak His Word, and He wants to use us to encourage other believers.

May your trials drive you into the arms of God, to His Word, and to the fellowship of other believers! You are not alone in your trials; many have gone through difficulties and remained faithful. Thoughts of desperation are not sinful in themselves; it is where we go with them that will either bring us into closer fellowship with our Savior or take us through seasons of sin.


May the words of this psalm drive you to God, our only Savior and hope. May our praise be driven by who He is and not by our circumstances!

No comments:

Post a Comment