Friday, November 22, 2013

LOOK BEYOND YOUR ENEMIES!




GOD’S LOVE IS FAITHFUL

Psalm 59:1-2

1 Deliver me from my enemies, O my God;
protect me from those who rise up against me;
2 deliver me from those who work evil,
and save me from bloodthirsty men. 

This is another psalm of lament by David. As we read these words, we encounter a familiar theme: David’s life is in danger, those who hate him are wicked, and he has done nothing to deserve their behavior.

As David deals with his plight, though he must hide and flee to protect his life, he never doubts the power of God.

Psalm 59:5a

You, LORD God of hosts, are God of Israel.

He does not forget who God is. He is eternal; He is the ruler over all; He has shown Himself faithful to Israel; there is none more powerful than He. Even though the situation is difficult for David, it certainly is not for God.

Psalm 59:8-10

But you, O Lord, laugh at them;
you hold all the nations in derision.
9 O my Strength, I will watch for you,
for you, O God, are my fortress.
10 My God in his steadfast love will meet me;
God will let me look in triumph on my enemies. 

Men and nations can rise up, but never at the expense of God’s eternal purposes. God, in fact, is watching rebellious men scheme and plot as if they are in control, while He watches them and is totally sovereign over all.

When you and I go through the difficulties of life, what are we expecting? What are we watching for? David is expecting the Lord to respond; He knows he is safe in the strong arms of God.

We should ask ourselves if we are reacting the same way. Bitterness, anger, self-commiseration, and complaint are surely not the reactions of a person secure in God’s steadfast love.

David expects to encounter the eternal and faithful love of God. Even when he seeks God’s intervention, he has God’s purposes in mind.

Psalm 59:13

consume them in wrath;
consume them till they are no more,
that they may know that God rules over Jacob
to the ends of the earth. Selah 

His desire is that they may recognize Who is in control, that they may know the God he loves. Meanwhile, his enemies continue to prowl and he has only one thing left to do:

Psalm 59:16-17

But I will sing of your strength;
I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning.
For you have been to me a fortress
and a refuge in the day of my distress.
17 O my Strength, I will sing praises to you,
for you, O God, are my fortress,
the God who shows me steadfast love. 

He can sing the praises of his God. Even though he has not seen the liberation he desires, he does not doubt God’s strength or faithfulness. His praise is loud and clear.

I have so much to learn from David. My praise and trust often are overshadowed by my lack of joy. My reactions are not godly; my distress is what people can see, while my reactions should, instead, expose the God in whom I trust.

His love should never be doubted! His shelter should always be desired! His character should never be forgotten! His faithfulness should never be questioned!


Dear friends, when we allow our hearts to push us away from God, the result will always be sinful attitudes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment