Wednesday, March 26, 2014

I NEED YOU, O GOD!


UNLESS GOD INTERVENES IN MY LIFE, I HAVE NO HOPE

Psalm 80:3
        Restore us, O God;
                let your face shine, that we may be saved!

The writer asks God to show Himself and restore them. They knew very well that their sin had caused their pain and that they needed restoration.

Psalm 80:1
        Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel,
                you who lead Joseph like a flock.
        You who are enthroned upon the cherubim, shine forth.

He was their shepherd; they needed to be led back in the presence of the omnipotent and holy God. God had blessed them in the past but now, because of their sin, they suffered by the hands of their enemies.

Dear friends, I am reminded over and over again of the mercy of God.

God came down to us and loved us when we were unlovable, rebellious, following our own desires and lusts.

Romans 5:8
        …God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Galatians 2:20
        I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Ephesians 2:4-5
        But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—

1 John 4:9-10
        In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

1 John 3:1a
        See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are.

How could I ever be driven to bitterness, how could I ever forget to be grateful, how could I ever not love and forgive others, when I read and meditate on these verses?

What I should be surprised about is that, although I have known Christ, I continue in sin and expect forgiveness! Oh, I know He has promised to forgive me and show grace, but how grieved I should be when I offend Him!

I look back at my life and see the times when I slipped into seasons of discontent and sin; I cannot help but marvel that God would forgive me again and again.

Christ is my advocate; He reminds the Father that I am His! Oh, what a privilege; oh, what a responsibility!

We rejoice that after a season of clouds and rain, the sun shines and warms us again. How much more should we be warmed by the fact that God shines His face upon us!

I am saddened by the scars and consequences of my sin, but I am driven to praise that I can rest assured that I am forgiven, and that my sins have been covered by the blood of Christ. My eternal destiny is sure. No, not for anything I have done, but because my God loves to forgive and show compassion.

Hebrews 4:16
        Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

May these be our recurring words each day: I NEED YOU, O GOD, AND I AM PERFECTLY SATISFIED IN YOUR GRACE!

      1. I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord.
          No tender voice like thine can peace afford.

                  I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
                  Every hour I need Thee!
                  Oh, bless me now, my Savior;
                  I come to Thee!

      2. I need thee every hour; stay Thou nearby.
          Temptations lose their power When Thou art nigh.

      3. I need thee every hour, in joy or pain.
          Come quickly and abide, or life is vain.

      4. I need Thee every hour, most holy One.
          Oh, make me Thine indeed, Thou blessed Son!
                                By Annie S. Hawks, 1835-1918


No comments:

Post a Comment