Wednesday, November 26, 2014

PREPARING FOR THANKSGIVING


give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thessalonians 5:18





May our thankful hearts overflow tomorrow, as we set aside a special day for thanksgiving, and may it continue each day! These reminders from God’s Word encourage conscious gratitude in each of us that will become habits of life:

AM I GRATEFUL FOR ONLY A DAY

… when God created me in a wonderful way!

Psalm 139:13-14
For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.

… when God gives me only good gifts!

James 1:17
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

… when God revealed Himself to us!

Romans 1:19-20
For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

… when God has given me His Word!

2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

… when God sent His Son to die for me!

1 John 4:9
In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him.

…when Christ loved me first!

1 John 4:19
We love because he first loved us.

… when Christ loved me when I was His enemy!

Romans 5:8
but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

… when Salvation is a gift by grace alone!

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

… when God gives me undeservedly eternal life!

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

… when God is faithful all the time!

Psalm 36:5
Your steadfast love, O LORD, extends to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the clouds.

… when I can actually call God my father!

1 John 3:1a
See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are.

… when God provides for me!

Matthew 6:26
Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?

… when I know I will be with the Father one day!

John 14:1-2
“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?


… when The Lord is my Shepherd!

Psalm 23:1
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

… when I can pray!

Philippians 4:6
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

… when I have real peace!

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.


I am sure there are many more reasons for each of us to be grateful, and you will have a chance to rehearse them with your loved ones on Thanksgiving. What a wonderful way to encourage us all to have thankful hearts every day! May it also be a day when we resolve never to complain or fret, as we realize how very well our loving God takes care of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment