Thursday, August 6, 2015

THERE IS HOPE IN EVERY CIRCUMSTANCE









SALVATION BELONGS TO THE LORD!

Psalm 3
O LORD, how many are my foes!
Many are rising against me;
many are saying of my soul,
there is no salvation for him in God. Selah
But you, O LORD, are a shield about me,
my glory, and the lifter of my head.
I cried aloud to the LORD,
and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah
I lay down and slept;
I woke again, for the LORD sustained me.
I will not be afraid of many thousands of people
who have set themselves against me all around.
Arise, O LORD!
Save me, O my God!
For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;
you break the teeth of the wicked.
Salvation belongs to the LORD;
your blessing be on your people! Selah

This psalm of David was probably written as he was fleeing from his son, Absalom, and the many others who had risen up against him. 2 Samuel 13 and the following chapters are certainly an account of sin and its consequences. But through the whole situation, David relied on God to deliver him.

 Since the days he was a shepherd, David had learned to trust his God. He had fought against Goliath, he had dealt with the envy of Saul, he fought against multiple enemies, and he knew that, in spite of the words of those around him, his hope was only in the LORD.

David had also experienced the reality of sin and God’s forgiveness. He knew that he could still go to the Lord and find refuge and help. Not only was the LORD his shield of protection, but also the One who would lift his head when he was discouraged.

David had found rest in God; despite danger, he could sleep and rise in the morning, knowing that his life was in the hands of his Lord. His enemies had no power to touch him, as long as the Lord would protect him.

Things seemed bleak, but David was sure that his God would protect him. He had no doubts that God had the power to stop his enemies. At the end of the day, he knew that his salvation depended upon the Lord. He was sure that God would do what was right for him and his people.

As we rehearse these truths, we are reminded that we, too, should recognize the sovereignty of God in our lives, and should rest in His arms. God is aware and can powerfully accomplish His will in any situation. We need to recognize that He is in control and simply trust Him, as David did.

David had learned to depend on his LORD; we also need to learn also. As we learn more and more to trust in God, our words and actions will reflect this dependence, and in that way, God can use us to lead others to trust Him, too.

I am glad for this lesson that God is showing me through David’s life: that each day I can trust Him more and more.


No comments:

Post a Comment