Thursday, October 1, 2015

WILL YOU REGRET THE WAY YOU WENT THROUGH YOUR TRIAL?













DID YOU FORGET WHO IS TAKING CARE OF YOU?

Psalm 18:1-3
I love you, O LORD, my strength.
The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised,
and I am saved from my enemies.

‘I love you O LORD’… how does a human being display love to the Creator and Sustainer of the universe?

We know that this psalm was written by David after God had protected him from his enemies, including Saul. We also know that David’s praise did not begin after the deliverance, but had been part of his attitude all through the trials. David had restrained himself when he had the opportunity to kill Saul and had trusted God to be his protector and helper.

David praises God for having been his fortress and deliverer, for he had placed his confidence in his God, his rock; he was unmoved in his resolve and trust. Now, he could rejoice in the fulfillment of God’s protection of him and defeat of his enemies.

Have you ever had a situation where God has come to your rescue, but you haven’t gone through your trial well? Times when you had become ungrateful, bitter, and angry? Situations where you have not responded well to others? Trials where you have not been a good example for your family, friends, nor even your enemies?

When I look at these words and then review David’s life, I can see that his praise was preceded by complete trust before his deliverance. I know that there are many times that I have rejoiced in God’s provision and help, but I have not gone through the trial well.

Are you experiencing a trial right now? Do you trust God? Are you going to wish that you had navigated through the trial in a more godly way? No matter how you have reacted thus far, the wonderful thing is that you can stop, review your heart and behavior, and then ask God for forgiveness and strength to finish the remainder of the trial well.

I am so glad that some of my trials have lasted long enough to give me time to repent and react correctly to my circumstances.

David’s trials were real and hard.

Psalm 18:4-5
The cords of death encompassed me;
the torrents of destruction assailed me;
the cords of Sheol entangled me;
the snares of death confronted me.

It is not the size or the length of the trial that should direct our reactions, but our dependence upon the greatness of our God and the power of His care and love.

Psalm 18:6
In my distress I called upon the LORD;
to my God I cried for help.
From his temple he heard my voice,
and my cry to him reached his ears.

The trial was great; David knew he could not hide his pain from God, for what he needed to do was to pray and worship. Some, during trials, tend to remove ourselves from our brothers and sisters in Christ, to the point of avoiding attendance for worship with them. However, God desires our sincere communion with Him; he loves to hear our prayers, and is glorified by our trusting submission. David had continued to be faithful in his worship, and from God’s temple he cried out for help.

As we continue to look at this psalm, we will see God’s response and intervention, His power displayed. But sufficient for today is our need to review our own lives, to assess how we are responding to our trials.

David says that he loves the LORD. This ‘love’ is used rarely, and is a very tender term. This expresses complete love and dependence, as a lost sheep to its shepherd.

Luke 15:3-7      
        So he told them this parable: “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’ Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

God does not have too many sheep to take care of! Even if you are the least of His sheep, you are as important to God as all the other ones!

Are you tempted to forget the meticulous care and attention that God has shown for you? If you are a child of God, the angels in heaven rejoiced when you became His child. God sent His Son to pay the price of your sin and make it possible for you to have a relationship with Him.

Trials are real and they hurt. We might not see their end, but we should never lose sight of our wonderful Savior.

Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.


This is the LORD Who is taking care of us! May our minds rest in the peace that accompanies this wonderful truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment