Thursday, January 7, 2016

OUR PRAYERS EXPOSE WHAT IS OUR ULTIMATE GOAL












GOD DOES NOT PROVIDE GRACE FOR OUR FEARS, BUT GRACIOUSLY GIVES US FAITH IN HIM THAT ERASES OUR FEARS!

7 Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud;
be gracious to me and answer me!
8 You have said, “Seek my face.”
My heart says to you,
“Your face, Lord, do I seek.”
9 Hide not your face from me.
Turn not your servant away in anger,
O you who have been my help.
Cast me not off; forsake me not,
O God of my salvation!
10 For my father and my mother have forsaken me,
but the Lord will take me in.

David has clearly shown that he relies upon God, and is actively trusting Him. His prayers show dependence, urgency, and awareness of his need for God’s mercy and grace.

David’s prayer is immersed in his desire to know God and to know what He desires. He knows that it is God Who must reveal Himself to him.

Many times when we are going through trials, our prayers might be fervent, but the request is basically dictated by our desire for the uncomfortable situation to end. Some feel it is more spiritual, when in a trial, for them to ask God to teach them His lessons quickly, so that the trial will be brief.

These verses display the attitude that drives David: he knows that he deserves the anger of God, but he also knows that God is his Savior.

Our acquaintances and even our loved ones can abandon us, but God, once he has made us His own, will never forsake us.

How can we evaluate our own attitudes as we pray? If there is anger or bitterness or complaining, then it is evident that our prayers are directed toward meeting our felt needs and not directed to becoming the servant that God desires.

Some have given up on prayer, thinking that God is not answering them, but God has promised to answer our prayers according to His timing and His will.

James 4:3
You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions.

What does it look like for us to seek the face of God? We certainly cannot depend upon our emotions, but only on the Word of God. It is there where we can discover His character, His will, His desires, and what He expects from us.

It is very hard, during the times of trial, to know what God wants, if we have not been diligent in filling our minds with His Word during our times of peace.

Surrounding ourselves with godly people will also help us to learn what God wants from us.

The psalmist’s requests flowed out of his heart and desires:

11 Teach me your way, O Lord,
and lead me on a level path
because of my enemies.
12 Give me not up to the will of my adversaries;
for false witnesses have risen against me,
and they breathe out violence.

David knew two things: that within himself, he did not know which path was the correct one, and that reacting to his adversaries would only lead him in the wrong direction.

How many times have we allowed others to bait us into sinning? How often do we even use the behavior of others to excuse our own poor reactions?

As the writer prays this heartfelt request, he asks not to be abandoned to the will of his enemies. What a privilege it is, to have the Lord’s promises recorded in the Scriptures!

Hebrews 13:5,6
5 Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” 
6 So we can confidently say,
“The Lord is my helper;
I will not fear;
what can man do to me?”

Our confidence in God’s care begins with our contentment about His provision. God has promised to never leave us and He never does. Feelings of abandonment can only begin when we concentrate on our unmet expectations.

When we are facing trials or enemies, we must keep our minds on what is true! The Lord is our Helper: no one can attack us without God being at our side to give us strength and to help us.

God does not provide grace for our fears, but graciously gives us faith in Him that erases our fears!

Dear friends, we have said it before: trials are real, enemies are real, but we should never allow ourselves to become our own greatest enemies. We must keep our eyes fixed on the Lord and we must be disciplined in immersing ourselves in the Truth, rather than in our emotions!


No comments:

Post a Comment