Tuesday, June 7, 2016

DURING HARD TIMES WE MUST CONTROL OUR THOUGHTS!














DISCOURAGEMENT HAPPENS, BUT THERE IS HOPE IN GOD!

Psalm 43
1 Vindicate me, O God, and defend my cause
against an ungodly people,
from the deceitful and unjust man
deliver me!
2 For you are the God in whom I take refuge;
why have you rejected me?
Why do I go about mourning
because of the oppression of the enemy?

3 Send out your light and your truth;
let them lead me;
let them bring me to your holy hill
and to your dwelling!
4 Then I will go to the altar of God,
to God my exceeding joy,
and I will praise you with the lyre,
O God, my God.

5 Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my salvation and my God. 

It is very possible that this psalm was part of psalm 42. Without doubt, it follows the same theme. The writer has ungodly enemies who are persecuting him. These wicked people are deceitful and unjust.

The psalmist is waiting upon God to deliver him. He knows he has trusted God, yet reprieve is not coming and he feels rejected. His life is filled with sorrow and mourning because of the oppression of his enemies. Will he ever find rest? Thoughts of rejection come to his mind. He knows that his thinking is going in the wrong direction.

When we go through difficult times, we, too, are susceptible to this false thinking: Has God forgotten us? Is God punishing us? Have we done things that have caused God to stop loving us? Do we feel that God cannot really forgive our sins? Do we think that joy cannot be part of our life anymore? When the situation is bleak, does everything seem black and cloudy, with no hope of sunshine returning?

Elijah, after a great victory against the prophets of Baal, became so dejected and desperate because of his enemies that he desired to die. Then, in 1 Kings 19, God showed kindness to him by sending an angel to care for him. How could a man of God become so discouraged after having seen God work so mightily through him? Well, all I know is that he was human, and that God came alongside him and encouraged him when he needed it.

Dear friends, there is light at the end of the tunnel, but to reach it, you must feed your minds and hearts with the truth. The writer asks God to bring light and truth to him. God’s Word is the light we need. It is there we learn of the character of God, it is those inspired words that inform us of God’s sovereignty, there where we find the eternal purposes of God, and there where we are overwhelmed by God’s unfading love.

Only the Word of God can direct your thoughts:
Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

When the Word of God directs our thoughts, our praise and gratitude will be full and sure. God never forgets us! Every event in our life has an eternal purpose! His dealings with us are always kind. He is loving and faithful! We are never alone; no one can assail us without God’s awareness and sovereign control. Even if we die, we are ushered into eternity in the presence of God, if we know Him!

Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my salvation and my God. 

Is there any good reason to be dejected and discouraged? No. Does it happen to us? Yes. Do we need to stay in that state? Certainly not!

Remember that the words of this psalm are inspired by God and were sung by the children of Israel. May they drive us to Christ. God is not surprised by your hardship or your reactions, but He certainly has only good purposes for you and wants you to turn to Him. You may wander away, but your return will be rewarded by peace, joy, and praise for your God.


The God of eternity, the only true and wise God is our God!

No comments:

Post a Comment