Tuesday, December 13, 2016

DO YOU REMEMBER THE NAMES OF GOD?












DO NOT OVERLOOK YOUR JOYFUL DUTY TO PRAISE YOUR SAVIOR 


Psalm 66:1-4
Shout for joy to God, all the earth;
sing the glory of his name;
give to him glorious praise!
Say to God, “How awesome are your deeds!
So great is your power that your enemies come cringing to you.
All the earth worships you
and sings praises to you;
they sing praises to your name.” Selah
  
Can you see it? God’s works and glory are filling the earth: His mercy is abundant, His majesty is prominent, and His care is matchless. Can you see it? This psalm is inviting us to see God’s glory and to be in continuous awe of His supremacy.

Those who know God should be especially appreciative of God’s creative and sustaining power. Even though we live in a world that is oblivious of what the Lord is doing, we should certainly not be the same. We are human and frail. God knows that we are quickly distracted and sidetracked, so He gave us His Word to continually remind us of Him and His wonderful works. This psalm calls us to pay attention.

Shout for joy, sing the glory of His name, and give Him praise!

I am saved! I know my eternal destiny is sure! I know I will not receive the punishment I deserve! I know the God of the universe and I can call Him ‘Father’! He is my shepherd, my good shepherd. I know Christ, He is my advocate! I am indwelled by the Holy Spirit! I can pray and know I am heard! God is my friend!

His name is above all names

El Shaddai (Lord God Almighty)
El Elyon (The Most High God)
Adonai (Lord, Master)
Yahweh (Lord, Jehovah)
Jehovah Nissi (The Lord My Banner)
Jehovah-Raah (The Lord My Shepherd)
Jehovah Rapha (The Lord That Heals)
Jehovah Shammah (The Lord Is There)
Jehovah Tsidkenu (The Lord Our Righteousness)
Jehovah Mekoddishkem (The Lord Who Sanctifies You)
El Olam (The Everlasting God)
Elohim (God)
Qanna (Jealous)
Jehovah Jireh (The Lord Will Provide)
Jehovah Shalom (The Lord Is Peace)
Jehovah Sabaoth (The Lord of Hosts)

As the children of Israel spoke these names of God, they might have been more aware of the glorious character of their Lord and His attributes than we are, from day to day. But we have the additional advantage of knowing Christ the Lord, after His coming to earth.

Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Let me remind us of more scriptural names and descriptions of Christ

The Son of God                           The Word
The first-born of every creature    The Good Shepherd
The Son of the Highest                 The King
The Alpha and Omega                  The lamb
The door                                     The light
The way                                      The chief corner-stone
The truth                                     The author and finisher of our faith
The bread of life                           The Lord
The life

Dear friends, these are only a few! As we sing and rehearse the names of Christ, our praise for Him can only be full-hearted and glorious.

Yes, we live in a world where there is pain, many unknowns, adversity, and wickedness. But we must not allow earthly circumstances to distract us from our amazing privilege of knowing God, having been made righteous by faith, of knowing why we are alive, and that our sure future is to be in His holy presence forever, because of His Son.

The writer orders us to tell God how awesome His deeds are. So let us stop now, setting aside all distractions, and tell our precious Father and Lord how great He is. We might do this amidst tears, but let us begin our day aware of, and in awe of, our glorious God!

No comments:

Post a Comment