Tuesday, January 24, 2017

THE WAY YOU ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS WILL CHANGE YOUR DAY















AM I WITHOUT HOPE?

Psalm 69:1-3
Save me, O God!
For the waters have come up to my neck.
I sink in deep mire,
where there is no foothold;
I have come into deep waters,
and the flood sweeps over me.
I am weary with my crying out;
my throat is parched.
My eyes grow dim
with waiting for my God.

Have you ever felt this way? Have you ever come to a place where you felt that problems were assailing you and there was no way to stop them? When every step made you feel like you were going to fall and there was no place to grab on? When the waters were still advancing with no hope of stopping them? When your tears were dried up and your voice was gone from crying out? When even your hope in God was growing dim?

David begins with a simple plea: Save me, O God!

Maybe he did not even know what that salvation would look like. Have you come to a place where you did not even know what to hope for because your enemies were too many and too powerful?

Psalm 69:4
More in number than the hairs of my head
are those who hate me without cause;
mighty are those who would destroy me,
those who attack me with lies.
What I did not steal
must I now restore?

David is not even sure of what he did to deserve their attacks, though he admits that he is a sinful man.

Psalm 69:5
O God, you know my folly;
the wrongs I have done are not hidden from you.

Reading this reminds me that I should never forget my sinful state. As I look back on my sins, even I am surprised at my foolishness. God has seen all my actions, He knows my motives; in fact, He knew what I would do even before I entertained the ideas that led to actions.

David’s concern is for the reputation of his God and for those who observe, as he goes through this time of heavy trial.

Psalm 69:6
Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me,
O Lord GOD of hosts;
let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me,
O God of Israel.

Oh, I know that my actions would be different, if I were only more conscious that my actions bring consequences not only on myself, but also on others.

David knows that many are speaking evil against him. He knows that he has been concerned for God and His house. Now he desires God to intervene.

Psalm 69:13
But as for me, my prayer is to you, O LORD.
At an acceptable time, O God,
in the abundance of your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness.

Why would David come to God?

His prayer is to the LORD, the creator and sustainer of all. The One who has everything in His hands. Nothing escapes Him, all is ordained by His perfect and eternal will. He knows that God is loving; His love is steadfast, unchanging and abundant. The LORD dispenses His love faithfully. He loves to save. He is faithful to His promises. His timing is always perfect.

How utterly different we are from God! Our love is imperfect and changes easily. Our love is measured and limited. We are unfaithful. Our power is limited. Our awareness of situations is limited to our personal point of reference.

Are you going through a difficult time? Then here are some questions you should ask yourself:

  • Am I looking to God alone for help? Is He the one I depend on?
  • Am I willing to trust the LORD’s timing?
  • Do I really believe He is loving?
  • Am I aware of the abundance of His love?
  • Do I trust God’s purposes?
  • Do I believe that God is faithful?
  • Am I concerned about how my behavior effects what people think about God?
  • Am I concerned with how I am affecting the faith of those who watch me?


Dear friends, our answers to these questions will affect the way we behave today! They will affect our thoughts and our attitudes.

Our prayer must be centered on God, Himself. We are so blessed, if we know Christ and have been transformed by His love and by His death and resurrection. May our lives be visibly different because of our salvation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment