Thursday, October 30, 2014

DON’T WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK, BE FAITHFUL

 











DO YOU REALLY WANT TO BE BLESSED?

Psalm 112:1
Praise the LORD!
Blessed is the man who fears the LORD,
who greatly delights in his commandments!

There is no doubt that fearing God is a recurring theme of the Bible. In this psalm, the author reminds us that delighting in the Lord’s commands is the natural response of a God-fearing believer. Actually, as you read carefully, the writer says that one should delight greatly in the commands of God.

To be able to have this kind of delight, one needs to know the commands, trust the Giver of the commands, and desire the results of obedience to them.

Jesus said that those who obey are His friends.

John 14:15-17
        If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.
       
John 15:5-17
        I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
        “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. These things I command you, so that you will love one another.

We all know that abiding in Christ is a blessing, we know that bearing fruit is both a consequence and a joy. We all desire to have real and lasting joy, and Jesus reminds us that obeying Him is the path to true and full joy. We must live for the eternal and not for the temporal!

As the Psalm continues, it is reminiscent of the book of Proverbs.

Psalm 112:2-9
His offspring will be mighty in the land;
the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches are in his house,
and his righteousness endures forever.
Light dawns in the darkness for the upright;
he is gracious, merciful, and righteous.
It is well with the man who deals generously and lends;
who conducts his affairs with justice.
For the righteous will never be moved;
he will be remembered forever.
He is not afraid of bad news;
his heart is firm, trusting in the LORD.
His heart is steady; he will not be afraid,
until he looks in triumph on his adversaries.
He has distributed freely; he has given to the poor;
his righteousness endures forever;
his horn is exalted in honor.

There is much peace, when one knows that he has dealt with others in a loving and biblical way. The apostle Peter reminds us of the same truth.

1 Peter 3:13-17
        Now who is there to harm you if you are zealous for what is good? But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil.

Our true blessedness does not come from the response of man, but from what God thinks about our lives. We live under careful scrutiny of our Lord.

1 Peter 3:10-12
For
“Whoever desires to love life
and see good days,
let him keep his tongue from evil
and his lips from speaking deceit;
let him turn away from evil and do good;
let him seek peace and pursue it.
For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
and his ears are open to their prayer.
But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”

I know that I need to pray that God will give me a love and desire for His glory. My comfort, my goals, and my desires can very quickly drown out the joy of faithful service to God. Our focus needs to be upon attracting others to our Savior Jesus Christ. Our great delight must be in living according to the will of God.

We could sum up this life goal with the words of Christ:

Matthew 22:37-39
        You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Having a clear conscience and living to please and serve God will truly make us blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment