Monday, December 15, 2014

A GODLY LIFE IS THE RESULT OF MANY GODLY DECISIONS!














GODLINESS REQUIRES WORK

Psalm 119:33-40
Teach me, O LORD, the way of your statutes;
and I will keep it to the end.
Give me understanding, that I may keep your law
and observe it with my whole heart.
Lead me in the path of your commandments,
for I delight in it.
Incline my heart to your testimonies,
and not to selfish gain!
Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways.
Confirm to your servant your promise,
that you may be feared.
Turn away the reproach that I dread,
for your rules are good.
Behold, I long for your precepts;
in your righteousness give me life!

The progression we find in these verses is so necessary for our lives. The writer begins with ‘teach me’ and then he moves to ‘give me understanding, lead me, incline my heart, turn my eyes, confirm, turn away, and give me life’!

I know that, in my laziness, I want to ask God to give me blessing and life without the rigorous and diligent work that needs to be done.

There is no wiser place to begin to learn His statues than at the footstool of the LORD. We have already seen this truth in the previous verses, but again we are reminded that we need to be taught. The question we must ask ourselves is if we really believe it. Our weeks consist of 168 hours. How many are spent learning the Word? For some, the only learning time is the Sunday morning service: 50 minutes, compared to 168 hours. Take time to do the math in your own life: is there something that needs to change? Remember, we are asking the LORD to give us ‘life”, but are we willing to cooperate with His work in us?

Paul reminds us about the work of the Scriptures.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
            All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

Life for a true believer is a godly, maturing life that is dedicated to eternal goals. Only the inspired Word of God can provide the teaching and the necessary exposure of wrong thinking and sin, so the Spirit can transform our lives.

The psalmist is asking to learn the way of life; he is not looking for information, but for the path he needs to follow. He needs understanding: the ability to know, discern, and apply the instructions found in his study. He knows that he needs to be led in his walk. His joy is found in walking according to the Scriptures.

Part of his understanding, I believe, is also seeing the benefits and value in following the directions of His Lord. I know that as I get to know the character and love of God, I am more apt to understand and trust His ways and to fully delight in them.

The battle is always raging between our selfishness and our desire to live for God. The psalmist knows that, and he asks the LORD to incline his heart in the right direction. I know that this needs to be my daily prayer: to inform, transform, and incline my heart to godliness. When I am left to my natural desires, I become the center of my heart’s inclination.

The world is always shining lights and aggressively alluring my attention. Not only am I naturally inclined to follow the world, but everything around me wants to pull me in that direction. You and I know how easily we are distracted from all that is valuable and eternal.

But our fear of the Lord is the guiding light for our lives, and a strong deterrent from wandering, to which we are so prone. Solomon, a man who had allowed his life to be greatly distracted and pulled in wrong directions, reminds us of this in his inspired writings.

Proverbs 9:10
            The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
                        and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.

Going in the wrong direction will only produce reproach; following God will produce all that is good. How greatly I need to be prepared and reminded, for my days are filled with choices and decisions.

This stanza ends with an exclamation of desire for the teaching of the Word, for only through the Word will a righteous life be produced. A godly life is the result of a godly resolve!




No comments:

Post a Comment