Wednesday, December 17, 2014

YOU HAVE A TREASURE, DON’T OVERLOOK IT!













 THE WORD GIVES US WISDOM FOR ALL

Psalm 119:41-48
Let your steadfast love come to me, O LORD,
your salvation according to your promise;
then shall I have an answer for him who taunts me,
for I trust in your word.
And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth,
for my hope is in your rules.
I will keep your law continually,
forever and ever,
and I shall walk in a wide place,
for I have sought your precepts.
I will also speak of your testimonies before kings
and shall not be put to shame,
for I find my delight in your commandments,
which I love.
I will lift up my hands toward your commandments, which I love,
and I will meditate on your statutes.

Our access to the Word of God is an amazing sign of the kindness and grace of God. When we pick up the Bible, we have the truth available to us; we see God choosing to disclose who He is. We learn to know His character, His instructions, His ways, His thoughts. I know that as I look at the many copies of the Scriptures in my home, I tend to take for granted the amazing grace they represent.

Isaiah 55:8-9
For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

We can know for certain that any information about God a person might receive apart from Scriptures is merely invented. Man, left to his own, would have no ability to even imagine what God is like. The distance between our thoughts and God’s is so great that it would be impossible for man to come close to a valid description of the LORD.

We should be amazed by the love of God every time we take a Bible in our hands and are able to learn the mind of God. Furthermore, our ability to understand the spiritual truths found in it is also an amazing display of the grace of God.

1 Corinthians 2:14-16
        The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. “For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

True believers have been given the mind of Christ and are able to understand the things of God! I am afraid that the availability and familiarity of having the Word of God has made me take for granted this amazing gift I have at my disposal.

I have nothing more valuable, nothing more useful, nothing more transforming: I have nothing that comes close! It is a grace of God that I have the Scriptures, and that I can understand them.

Having the Scriptures gives us an answer to those around us. It is strong enough to defend us against those who taunt us. It is exactly what we need to be able to live in a hard and crooked world. It has the answers for all authorities. Knowing the word of God will assure we are never without wisdom and understanding.

The writer is resolute. He wants the word of God in his mouth continually, and knows that there is no other path he wants to walk but that which is found in the law of the LORD.

Thinking about the amazing gift of the Scriptures causes the writer to find delight in them. The Word is what he loves and therefore he meditates upon it.

The psalmist finds boldness in his walk, as he fills his mouth with the Word. He knows that he will have answers that will not put him to shame. He will not be timid or confused, but joyful and bold.

I know that I need to be more resolute in my walk and in my talk. The answer is in a growing confidence in the Word of God that comes from understanding and loving it.


May our testimonies be full of deep gratitude to God for His grace! May our lives be godly before men, because of God’s instruction and strengthening to apply His law from day to day!

No comments:

Post a Comment