Thursday, January 29, 2015

GOD’S WORD WILL NOT, CANNOT EVER CHANGE!













THE WORD IS ESTABLISHED ON THE CHARACTER OF GOD

Psalm 119:89-96
Forever, O LORD, your word
is firmly fixed in the heavens.
Your faithfulness endures to all generations;
you have established the earth, and it stands fast.
By your appointment they stand this day,
for all things are your servants.
If your law had not been my delight,
I would have perished in my affliction.
I will never forget your precepts,
for by them you have given me life.
I am yours; save me,
for I have sought your precepts.
The wicked lie in wait to destroy me,
but I consider your testimonies.
I have seen a limit to all perfection,
but your commandment is exceedingly broad.
                                                               
There is great peace in knowing that the Word of God is firmly fixed in the heavens forever. Jesus confirmed this when He was on earth.

Luke 21:33
        Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

The reality of a Word that is fixed forever is based on who God is. The Word is established on the character of God. He is holy and will therefore never have anything corrupt in His Word. God cannot lie, so nothing He has ever said is untruthful.

Numbers 23:19
God is not man, that he should lie,
or a son of man, that he should change his mind.
Has he said, and will he not do it?
Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?

The Word is trustworthy because of God’s faithfulness.

Deuteronomy 32:4
“The Rock, his work is perfect,
for all his ways are justice.
A God of faithfulness and without iniquity,
just and upright is he.

Lamentations 3:22-24
The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
“The LORD is my portion,” says my soul,
“therefore I will hope in him.”

Although Israel was in great difficulty, Jeremiah knew that he could trust the character of God. God was, and will always be, faithful to His promises. Not only is God’s character trustworthy, but His power and dominion are unchallenged. By His word everything was established and by His power all continues to subsist.

Hebrews 11:1-3
        Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the people of old received their commendation. By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.

1 Corinthians 8:5-6
        For although there may be so-called gods in heaven or on earth—as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”—yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.

There is so much peace in knowing that, although the world has many gods, there is only one true God that has absolute power over all.

Without the Word of God there is no real hope; without a relationship with the one and only true God there would be only desperation. The writer knew it well. Every day we are faced with decisions that cause us to choose whether we will trust God or not. Even Jesus asked the disciples if they were still going to follow Him.

John 6:66-69
        After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him. So Jesus said to the Twelve, “Do you want to go away as well?” Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.”

Peter had it right! There was no other place to go! He wavered at times, but he knew that only Jesus had the answers. The writer is saying the same thing; even though there are enemies, he knows Whom he has trusted and has resolved to follow God.

Dear friends, what a reminder this is for me, as I face my day, knowing that I will be faced with different trials, and thus will have to chose whether I will trust the eternal Word of God or not!

Isaiah 40:6-8
…All flesh is grass,
and all its beauty is like the flower of the field.
The grass withers, the flower fades
when the breath of the LORD blows on it;
surely the people are grass.
The grass withers, the flower fades,
but the word of our God will stand forever.


Will I set my feet on what is eternal and unchanging, or will I lend my ear to what is merely temporal and earthly?

No comments:

Post a Comment