Tuesday, February 3, 2015

DOES THE WORD OF GOD INFORM YOUR BEHAVIOR?














ONLY THE WORD GIVES UNMATCHED WISDOM!

Psalm 119:97-104
Oh how I love your law!
It is my meditation all the day.
Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies,
for it is ever with me.
I have more understanding than all my teachers,
for your testimonies are my meditation.
I understand more than the aged,
for I keep your precepts.
I hold back my feet from every evil way,
in order to keep your word.
I do not turn aside from your rules,
for you have taught me.
How sweet are your words to my taste,
sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Through your precepts I get understanding;
therefore I hate every false way.

Are we convinced that God’s word is what makes us wise? Are we certain that, when in a conversation, the Scriptures are the only writings that bring absolute truth and wisdom? Are we quick to go to the Word for wisdom when we have situations we need to address?

The writer is convinced that there is no other place he can go for wisdom. He has understood the value of God’s law and therefore loves it with all his strength. He utterly loves it, thinking about it all day. He thinks about God’s word because there is nothing more useful and important to him.

Is that the kind of love and devotion you have for the Word? Do you know it well enough for it to be the light unto your path? Have you allowed it to guide often enough to have experienced its worth? Is biblical truth the first thing that comes to your mind when you are addressing the difficulties of your day?

When the psalmist had to address enemies or adversaries, it was Scripture that guided him. God’s Word gave him the wisdom to know what the real issues were, and to know how to address them. How differently would we react to people and situations, if it was the Word of God we depended upon to guide our thoughts and reactions! Are you dealing with difficult people or situations? Are you allowing the Word to inform your reactions and decisions?

The world tends to demean the truth of Scriptures. At times we participate in conversations that we know are anti-biblical and we listen quietly, thinking that those around us are more informed or more prepared. The writer knew that when he was informed by the truth of the Scriptures, he was the one with the most understanding.

He knew that even the earthly wisdom of the aged, even personal experience, did not give more understanding than what the Scriptures give a younger person. Are you intimidated by age? Are you shaken by other people’s experience? The Word of God stands any of the human tests! When guided by the Law of God, we should never doubt our actions.

Yet, there should never be pride or arrogance in our reactions or attitude. It is not our wisdom we are following, but the wisdom that comes from God, Himself. We should never feel disdain for those around us, but gratitude to God because He has give us the faith to understand and believe His Word.

Knowing this in our life should give us the same resolve that the writer has. He will be active in keeping himself from wrong-doing and will not allow anything or anyone turn him in the wrong direction. He has been taught, and now he knows what to do.

Dear friends, are you studying and loving the Word as you ought? How much time do you devote to your study and preparation? Do you have mature believers in your life who, having known and loved the Scriptures for a long time, can give you biblical guidance? Are you humble enough to believe that you do not have all the answers? Are you convinced that you find the answers in the Scriptures? Are you committed to follow the Word at all cost? These are the questions that I am asking myself, and I realize that I have not had this kind of resolve in my life at all times!

When we come to this kind of understanding, our love for the Word will be profound and evident in our life. Our thoughts will primarily go to the Scriptures. Our decisions will be heavenly directed. Our reactions will be different! We will have a disdain for what is wrong and sinful.


Our life will prove the measure of our love for the Word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment