Tuesday, April 28, 2015

BLESSED BY MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN CHRIST!












TRUE UNITY HAS ITS ROOTS IN THE WORD OF GOD

Psalm 133
Behold, how good and pleasant it is
when brothers dwell in unity!
It is like the precious oil on the head,
running down on the beard,
on the beard of Aaron,
running down on the collar of his robes!
It is like the dew of Hermon,
which falls on the mountains of Zion!
For there the LORD has commanded the blessing,
life forevermore.

One of the most comforting blessings of our lives as believers is becoming part of a family. We are so blessed to be part of the local Church, where people from different backgrounds, different cultures, and different levels of education, different families, different ages, different jobs, and different experiences are all united by our love of Christ.

I am incredibly blessed by the closeness among the members within Bible study I teach. We are all marvelously knit together because of our unified enthusiasm about the Word and God’s continuous work in our lives through it.

As David penned this Psalm, he certainly could be thinking of the unity of Israel as a nation, but I am sure that he had a real sense that God was the One who had actually caused unity among the children of Israel. David refers to the time when Aaron was anointed High Priest of Israel. There is no doubt that the real unity was the result of spiritual work that God did in the people of His chosen nation. There is a sense of  immense blessing overflowing, as the anointing oil ran down over head and beard and onto the collar of Aaron’s robe, and in David’s reference to God’s care for Zion through the provision of abundant dew upon its mountains.

Dear friends, I can think of no greater earthly blessing than that of the unity we have with fellow believers. It is a unity that is caused by a common Savior, common goals, and a certain hope.

Philippians 1:3-8
I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel. For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus.

The gracious work of God in our lives and through our ministries is overwhelming and gratifying, for none of these blessings are intended to bring glory to ourselves, but to Christ Jesus..

The unity this psalm talks about is truly a blessing for those who experience it, but it is also a worshipful tribute to our Lord. Jesus prayed for the unity of believers, as He prepared to return to the Father.

John 17:11
And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one.

This unity is not something that we need to manufacture, but it is the result of the transformation of believers, through the truth. Jesus prayed for this true unity!

John 17:17-19
Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth.

Any kind of unity that is not founded on truth is artificial, and thus does not bring glory to God.

Do you ever stop and wonder why God has been so gracious to us in allowing us sinners to become His children, and causing us to be united in a family created by God? Are you overwhelmed by the fact that God wants to use you to bless His family?

Have you taken the time to thank God for those whom He is using in your life to help to conform you to the image of His Son? Have you taken the time to thank them and encourage them in their service to God?

Behold, how good and pleasant it is
when brothers dwell in unity!

The reality is, however, that often brothers do not dwell in unity! What needs to change? Change always starts with those who are willing to submit to their Savior!

Matthew 5:9
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Paul desired that there would be real unity and peace within the believers.

Philippians 2:1-4
So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Our own interests and our own selfishness get in the way of unity! Has God changed your life? Has God showered you with true love? Is God transforming your life through His Word? Then this should be evident through the earthly relationships you have!

I am so blessed and thankful that I can hardly wait to tell my fellow believers how much I love them in Christ! And on a personal note, what a blessing it is, to have a wife who shares this love for believers and loves to sacrificially serve for their sake!

We are blessed beyond measure, in Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment