Tuesday, April 7, 2015

WE ALL NEED THESE TRUTHS TODAY!
















TRUST GOD! DON’T TRUST YOURSELF!

Psalm 127
Unless the LORD builds the house,
those who build it labor in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city,
the watchman stays awake in vain.
It is in vain that you rise up early
and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious toil;
for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD,
the fruit of the womb a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
are the children of one's youth.
Blessed is the man
who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame
when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.

The first verse of this psalm quickly attracts our attention, as it has been quoted many times because of its wonderful content. Before we meditate on the meaning, I want to remind you that this psalm, too, is a song of ascent.

We do not know at what time or occasion Solomon wrote this psalm. But we do know that as the pilgrims returned to Jerusalem for worship, they sang these psalms of ascent. They lived far from their beloved city and most times in very difficult environments. They probably desired their situations to change and probably worked hard and “worried” hard!

As we read this psalm, we all can think of things we are trying to build or achieve or change in our lives. We can think of things that we would like to protect ourselves from. We can think of needs that seem to be hard to meet.

The writer very clearly reminds the readers that building without trusting or resting in God is vain labor. We can try to protect ourselves in many ways, but the true watchman over our lives is the Lord, Himself. Worrying will not provide anything but sleepless nights and long, anxious days of work.

We are never told in the Bible not to plan or work hard. God expects us to be diligent, not lazy. The Word of God admonishes us, however, not to take God’s glory for ourselves. All we do is because of His infinite grace and care for us. Secondly, we are admonished not to worry, but to trust the One who carefully and lovingly holds all things in His hands.

I must admit that I am often assailed by worry and sleepless nights. The pressures of life are real and constant, but I know what truths need to be continuously brought back to my mind:

  • I can trust the character of my sovereign God! He is holy and just and faithful. He will do what is right.

  • I can trust the power of my sovereign God! There is nothing that is beyond His reach and His omnipotence.

  • I can trust the wisdom of my sovereign God! Not only is His character perfect and His power without limit, but also He has perfect wisdom in what He does. Nothing puzzles Him or confuses Him. God knows how to work together every event in the whole universe. This amazes me!

  • I can trust the love of my sovereign God. Every action of God is motivated by His love, which is eternal and faithful.

You might be thinking that I have written something similar before, but these are the things I need to remind myself of every day, as new situations come up or old situations don’t seem to go away. Neither self-reliance nor worry is pleasing to God, for He is honored by our grateful trust in Him. I simply need to trust in my sovereign God!

Besides His caring for me during difficulties, my sovereign God also has a positive purpose for me as His ambassador:

  • God wants the Gospel to progress in me! Every day God is active in my life, conforming me into the image of His son.

  • God wants to use me to promote the Gospel in the lives of other believers! God is preparing me to be an example and a voice of His Word to those believers who are part of my local church, or whom God simply brings in my path.

  • God wants to use me to see the Gospel progress in this dark world. My trust and reliance and love for my Savior can and should be light to unbelieving people.


Solomon ends his psalm with a reminder of what immense blessings children are. God is the one who gives them, and they are to be received as gifts. The writer even infers, by using weaponry images, that they are part of His way of defending men against their enemies.

We might think that children are also the cause of some the worries that we’d rather not have in our lives. Reality is, however, that even regarding our children, trust in God needs to be the source of our ongoing strength.

I know that I would love to change some of the things I have done as a parent, some of the ways I have educated my sons, but as they have grown older, all I can do is trust the work of God in their lives. As I watch my grandchildren grow, the best I can do for them is pray and trust God to do His perfect work.

I love all my children and I know that God loves them far more than I can! I will entrust them to Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment