Tuesday, June 16, 2015

PREPARE FOR DIFFICULT DAYS!














SPIRITUAL DISCIPLESHIP IS NOT AN OPTION!

Psalm 141
O LORD, I call upon you; hasten to me!
Give ear to my voice when I call to you!
Let my prayer be counted as incense before you,
and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice!
Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth;
keep watch over the door of my lips!
Do not let my heart incline to any evil,
to busy myself with wicked deeds
in company with men who work iniquity,
and let me not eat of their delicacies!
Let a righteous man strike me—it is a kindness;
let him rebuke me—it is oil for my head;
let my head not refuse it.
Yet my prayer is continually against their evil deeds.
When their judges are thrown over the cliff,
then they shall hear my words, for they are pleasant.
As when one plows and breaks up the earth,
so shall our bones be scattered at the mouth of Sheol.
But my eyes are toward you, O GOD, my Lord;
in you I seek refuge; leave me not defenseless!
Keep me from the trap that they have laid for me
and from the snares of evildoers!
Let the wicked fall into their own nets,
while I pass by safely.

What a wonderful Psalm to guide us during difficult and overwhelming times! David has no doubt that his circumstances require God to come to his aid. The request for help seems desperate and necessary. The plea is for a quick response, and there is almost a sense of perceived neglect in his request.

There is no doubt that although prayer is part of his normal daily routine, his praying is not rote, but thought through. It is daily time of careful worship to his God.

As David thinks over his day, he realizes that he needs the LORD’s help to keep his tongue from saying wrong things. Oh, how easily, when I am under stressful times, do I allow my mouth to sin. Complaining can so easily enter into my conversation, unkind answers, even to those I love, can so easily be my natural response.

When things were hard, David knew that he was prone to say wrong things and his heart was easily attracted to sin. We would do well, when things become stressful, to take time to pray to the Lord, asking for help regarding both the situation, and our heart attitudes. Surrounded by a wicked world, it is easy to follow others in their pursuit of evil and to react in worldly ways.

The psalmist invites the intervention of righteous people in his life. He desires their rebuke and guidance. He knows very well that he needs godly counsel. And he also knows that he needs to humbly receive what he has invited!

Like David, we need to invite godly influencers into our lives, and be prepared to accept their words of counsel or rebuke. Spiritual discipleship is not an option!

David has chosen to avoid any influence by the ungodly; instead, his eyes are directed to God. He seeks His help, knowing that he has no strength within himself to live a righteous life; he is totally reliant on God’s enablement. He knows there are traps all around him and he constantly needs God’s help to avoid them.

This is true in my life, too! Left to my own strength, I set myself up for continuous failure. Preparation for difficulties is necessary before we enter them. Our days should begin with prayer, be lived in prayerful dependence, and should end in grateful praise.

I don’t have to think long, to remind myself of times (even today) where prayer should have bathed the events that confronted me. And I know that my response would have been very different had I stopped to pray before reacting!

One of the great hymns says:

I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord;
No tender voice like Thine can peace afford.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
        Every hour I need Thee;
Oh, bless me now, my Savior!
    I come to Thee.

I need Thee every hour, stay Thou near by;
Temptations lose their power when Thou art nigh.

I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain;
Come quickly and abide, or life is vain.

I need Thee every hour, teach me Thy will;
And Thy rich promises in me fulfill.

I need Thee every hour, Most Holy One;
Oh, make me Thine indeed, Thou blessed Son.



May you start today with a prayer like this hymn, and thus be prepared for the traps that so easily make us stumble! Then, may your day end with grateful praise that God protected you from falling into those traps!

No comments:

Post a Comment