Thursday, June 18, 2015

TRUST GOD! HE HOLDS THE FUTURE












FAITHFULNESS IN TRIALS!

Psalm 142
With my voice I cry out to the LORD;
with my voice I plead for mercy to the LORD.
I pour out my complaint before him;
I tell my trouble before him.
When my spirit faints within me,
you know my way!
In the path where I walk
they have hidden a trap for me.
Look to the right and see:
there is none who takes notice of me;
no refuge remains to me;
no one cares for my soul.
I cry to you, O LORD;
I say, “You are my refuge,
my portion in the land of the living.”
Attend to my cry,
for I am brought very low!
Deliver me from my persecutors,
for they are too strong for me!
Bring me out of prison,
that I may give thanks to your name!
The righteous will surround me,
for you will deal bountifully with me.

This psalm was written by David while he was being pursued by King Saul - a period of time that was certainly very trying for the man who had been anointed by the prophet Samuel as God’s choice to be Israel’s next king. Certainly, it had to be a time of great confusion for David. He had served God and his nation faithfully. He had been put into the situation by God, Himself, since he had not looked for a position of power or prestige. All he knew now was that he was being persistently hunted by Saul, and that his life was in great danger. His prayers were not being responded to quickly, and he had to run to protect himself, enduring the discomfort of the wilderness.

What kind of prayers would accompany us, if we faced this same kinds of problems? Would we become rebellious and frustrated? Would our faith waiver?

David knows that his only hope is in the LORD. He cries out for mercy and help. His lament is clear before God - he does not have to pretend his situation is easy. He can go to God and bare his soul. He is in trouble, he feels that he is losing his strength, and his spirit is becoming weak. At the same time, he knows that God is aware of his plight; God is watching and knows that he needs His help.

David is aware that there are traps laid out for him. The danger is real; since no one is offering him a refuge or even noticing his need, all human help is useless. His only resource for help is God, to whom he desperately cries. He knows that his survival thus far is because the Lord is his refuge. In God resides his only protection and hope. David is overwhelmed. He is low and needy.

Yet David does not lose hope completely, for he asks to be brought out of prison and looks forward to being able to rejoice in gratitude for God’s deliverance. He anticipates the day when he will be surrounded with righteous people, after God provides freedom to him again.

We read in 1 Samuel how David had an opportunity to kill Saul, but chose not to take the life of the anointed king of Israel into his own hands:

1 Samuel 24:6
        He said to his men, “The LORD forbid that I should do this thing to my lord, the LORD's anointed, to put out my hand against him, seeing he is the LORD's anointed.”

David was enduring an unjust situation, but chose to depend on God and not to sin. We know that in God’s timing, He did deliver David, and put him on the throne for which he had been anointed.

When we go through difficult times, even though they can seem overwhelming and the outcome looks unpleasant, our resolve needs to be the same as David’s. While we read this psalm, we have the advantage of already knowing the outcome, but David didn’t. He had to deal with all the confusion and the hardship of not seeing a way out, and having to trust the LORD alone for his salvation.

May we have that same kind of dependence upon God. May we react righteously, even in our times of greatest desperation, when we find ourselves incapable of dealing with the situations that face us.


Every day, we have new opportunities to rely on God and to help others do the same! May we be found faithful!

No comments:

Post a Comment