Wednesday, July 8, 2015

LACK OF PRAISE EXPOSES LACK OF LOVE FOR GOD












GOD DESERVES OUR PRAISE!

Psalm 148:1-2
Praise the LORD!
Praise the LORD from the heavens;
praise him in the heights!
Praise him, all his angels;
praise him, all his hosts!

There are times when we seem to have lost sight of our reasons to praise the Lord, when the situations of life seem to overwhelm us. As believers, we know we should be praising our Lord, but our praises are distracted, not whole-hearted and sincere.

But the writer in this psalm is bubbling with praise. The call to praise is directed to every created being. The heavenly host offer continuous praise to the God of heaven and earth. It is not an effort, but the reaction to the majesty and splendor of the LORD.

The praise does not stop in heaven; in fact, all nature is praising the LORD.

Psalm 148:3-6
Praise him, sun and moon,
praise him, all you shining stars!
Praise him, you highest heavens,
and you waters above the heavens!
Let them praise the name of the LORD!
For he commanded and they were created.
And he established them forever and ever;
he gave a decree, and it shall not pass away.

The laws of nature are continuously promoting the majesty of the creator of the universe. Everything was created perfectly by God, and its existence, perfection, and order is a continuous praise to God. Nothing came to be by its own volition, but everything came through the spoken word of its Creator and Lord. Everything functions because of God’s perfect sustaining power. We also are able to function in this world because we can rely on God’s decrees continuing forever and ever.

Psalm 148:9-12
Mountains and all hills,
fruit trees and all cedars!
Beasts and all livestock,
creeping things and flying birds!
Kings of the earth and all peoples,
princes and all rulers of the earth!
Young men and maidens together,
old men and children!

Animated and unanimated things, animals and people, young and old, famous and ordinary, rich and poor: all have been created by the careful work of God.

Psalm 148:13-14
Let them praise the name of the LORD,
for his name alone is exalted;
his majesty is above earth and heaven.
He has raised up a horn for his people,
praise for all his saints,
for the people of Israel who are near to him.
Praise the LORD!

Israel and all God’s saints are called to praise the LORD. Man is commanded to exalt only Him, for He alone is worthy to be praised. He is above all things; His decrees and will are not tied to circumstances or people. They are the result of His careful planning.

There will come a day when every creature will be forced to bow down and recognize the majesty of God. In the world today, we witness the reality that many people are bent on raising themselves to the place of God. They praise the creatures instead of the Creator. But those who are His, who have been set apart and are near Him have no excuse, they must praise Him. Often, I think I have the right to decide what is best for me, to require that my life have the comforts I prefer, that situations meet my expectations, that people elevate me to my desired significance. And then my expectations of God are self-centered, and I tell myself  that my lack of praise for God is only my reaction to external events, when it’s actually the result of inward sin.

My reflection on this psalm has taught me that not only my actions need to change, but my heart also needs to be corrected. I am saddened by the way my lack of praise exposes my lack of love for God and my overwhelming love for self.

Worship and praise in not something we only do on Sunday, but are rather the expressions of our daily love for God. I am grateful that God uses the Holy Spirit and His Word and His people to produce praise in us. May God help us to look to God not for a change of our circumstances, but for a change of our hearts, when we are not praising the LORD the way we ought to do.                   


No comments:

Post a Comment