Monday, September 21, 2015

GODLINESS IS A WAY OF LIFE NOT AN EVENT!













FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD: A HUMBLE RESPONSIBILITY!

Psalm 15
O LORD, who shall sojourn in your tent?
Who shall dwell on your holy hill?
He who walks blamelessly and does what is right
and speaks truth in his heart;
who does not slander with his tongue
and does no evil to his neighbor,
nor takes up a reproach against his friend;
in whose eyes a vile person is despised,
but who honors those who fear the LORD;
who swears to his own hurt and does not change;
who does not put out his money at interest
and does not take a bribe against the innocent.
He who does these things shall never be moved.

As I read these verses, which the psalmist wrote under the inspiration of God, many thoughts stream through my mind.

We see here a description of the walk of a righteous man, yet even in his righteousness, he still humbly asks what kind of man can be in close fellowship with the holy God. For man’s fallen nature affects his every motive and action, causing division between man and God.  So no one could ever have communion with God by his own efforts. It is only God, Himself, who can produce the ability, the desire, and the strength to live righteously.

Romans 7:18
        For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.

Man, in his flesh, cannot produce any kind of righteousness, even if he desires to do what is right.

Philippians 3:12-16
        Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. Only let us hold true to what we have attained.

Striving toward godliness is not a one-time event, but it is the continuous work of God in us, as we press (that is, work hard) toward that goal.

1 Timothy 1:15-16
        The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.

Paul knew very well that it was God’s mercy to him, a ‘foremost’ sinner, that revealed the work of Christ in him as an encouraging example for future sinners to also believe unto eternal life.

As we read what David has written in this psalm, the humbling reality of God working in us should flood our souls. At the same time, the responsibility to walk in a worthy manner of our salvation is clearly conveyed.

A believer ought to do what is right, and this should be visible to others. His thinking and the meditations of his heart should be biblical. His speech should be pure.

Matthew 12:34-37
        You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

The fact that the mouth reveals what is in the heart is a concept repeated frequently in the Scriptures. I so often tend to justify unkind, angry, derogatory, critical, and complaining words. Our first reaction, however, when wrong words come out of our mouths, should be to check our hearts! I need that reminder, and am very thankful for the work that God is doing in my heart, through His word.

David goes on to describe a person who does not do evil and does not rejoice, or even envy, the evil doers. He does not enjoy the company of the evil doers, but takes pleasure in fellowship with the godly.

One of the check-ups we can do in our own hearts is to ask ourselves whom we love to spend time with, and what kind of conversations we have with them. As believers, we should love to spend time with our fellow Christians, and our conversations should be Bible-driven. I am afraid that, for many believers, friendships and conversations are often driven by the same interests and goals that unbelievers have.

Ephesians 5:19-21
        …addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.

A believer is not driven by greed! He is generous! Hoarding wealth or personal gain are not what motivate him. He is willing to suffer loss, rather than lose the integrity of his words and promises. Money is not the principal motivation for what he does! We live in a very affluent society, where it is easy not only to be driven by its same goals, but also to be disappointed that we don’t have what others have. Any financial blessings should drive us to generosity and not greed.

Ephesians 4:28
        Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need.

This kind of living will produce peace and stability, and most of all, humble and grateful communion with God.

What a blessing, to know that Christ prayed for us, that we would live a life pleasing to the Father. May this be our prayer, too!

John 17:11-19
        And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth.
       


No comments:

Post a Comment