Tuesday, September 1, 2015

WHY I DON’T PRAISE GOD? HERE ARE THE ANSWERS















A SYMPHONY OF PRAISE

  
Psalm 9:1-2
I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart;
I will recount all of your wonderful deeds.
I will be glad and exult in you;
I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.

David’s opening of Psalm 9 has caused me to reflect about why I find myself to be so prone to ungratefulness, rather than joyful thanksgiving to God. This quandary could be quickly answered with the fact that I am human and I am sinful. Both statements are true, and my reactions show their effect than I’d like. I do believe that at the core of fallen human nature is pride that produces an attitude of entitlement, which then produces demands, which produce unmet expectations. The results are sinful reactions ranging from frustration, to anger, to bitterness. No doubt all of this unhappiness grows from failing to recount the Lord’s wonderful deeds, and thank Him wholeheartedly.

The psalmist, David, is thankful in the midst of his trials; his whole heart is grateful to the LORD. The Creator and Sustainer of all is active, and David has chosen to recount the wonderful works of his God, be glad and exult in Him.

Taking the time to stop and think will encourage in every believer the same reactions that David displays in this psalm. What came to my mind was the ungrateful servant in Matthew 18, who, though mercifully forgiven an enormously-impossible debt, reacted shamefully, by heartlessly demanding repayment of a very small debt owed him by a fellow servant! How often have I done virtually the same thing, by my expectations and demands upon others, rather than learning grace from the great grace that the Lord has shown to me?!

Pride can so quickly cause us to have a wrongly enlarged view of ourselves and cloud our view of God. But David was glad, and exulted in the work that God had done in his life, and sang out his praise to the name of the Most High. David knew he was a sinful man. He had known the depth of despair over his sin, and thus truly appreciated the grace of God’s forgiveness.

In the following verses, David recognizes the fact that God is Sovereign of all. God does not overlook anything; all that happens is the result of God’s careful ordaining. God is righteous and just; He will bring justice in due time.

Psalm 9:13-14
Be gracious to me, O LORD!
See my affliction from those who hate me,
O you who lift me up from the gates of death,
that I may recount all your praises,
that in the gates of the daughter of Zion
I may rejoice in your salvation.

David knows very well that he cannot demand anything. His approach to the LORD can only be on the basis of God’s grace. He is just asking God to see his trouble and act according to His timing and justice, and his response will be one of praise. He will have yet another reason to praise the Lord of his salvation.

David knows that God is always faithful to His promises.

Psalm 9:4
For you have maintained my just cause;
you have sat on the throne, giving righteous judgment.

There has never been a moment when God failed or came short in His care and work on David’s behalf. This is also true in our lives. God has always done what He knows is best for us. When He has allowed us to go through trials, He was refining us, exposing our sinfulness so that we could repent and become the praising believers we should be.

 I will give thanks, I will recount, I will exult, and I will sing praise! These are the words that ought to come out of the mouth of a believer. David is such an example for us. This kind of heart-change towards God, people, and circumstances will produce a totally different outlook on life. We wonder why we don’t have peace: here is the answer. We wonder why we don’t love people the way we should: here is the answer. We wonder why circumstances produce wrong reactions: here is the answer.


May you and I stop to evaluate our hearts. May our words produce grace in those who hear us. One thing for sure, this is a lesson that is not learned once for all! Our hearts need to be guarded and our dependence upon God must be complete. This kind of praise brings glory to God and invites others to also worship the God we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment