Monday, December 14, 2015

GOD IS FAITHFUL. ARE WE?













OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD IS ROOTED IN HIS GRACE!

PSALM 25

1 To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
2 O my God, in You I trust;
let me not be put to shame;
let not my enemies exult over me.
3 Indeed, none who wait for You shall be put to shame;
they shall be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous.

How many times, in these psalms, we have seen David living in adverse conditions! Enemies and struggles were his way of life. Things are increasingly the same today, for most of the world; any times of relative peace should be seen as gifts and exceptions.

David declares his dependence and trust in the Lord, despite his circumstances. He is asking His God not to allow him to be overcome by his enemies, for that would result in shame for him. In fact, he is confident that his God will not allow any who trust in Him to be put to shame.

Reflecting on these statements, I don’t think they imply that believers will always be vindicated on earth, but that in the end, God will set all records straight. At the same time, I believe, it does imply that God will always provide the strength to go through difficult times with unmatched grace and strength in the Lord.

All believers can rest assured that they will be strengthened, as they are confronted with trials and enemies.

David realizes that he needs to be instructed in the ways of the Lord.

4 Make me to know your ways, O Lord;
teach me your paths.
5 Lead me in your truth and teach me,
for you are the God of my salvation;
for you I wait all the day long.

As David reviews the difficulties of life, his prayer is clear: He needs to know the paths of God. He needs to be taught, because he does not know them naturally. His dependence is also obvious. God is the source of his salvation and he is willing to patiently wait for His instructions.

As we read these verses, something should become very clear for us, as well: if the Lord is the God of our salvation, then He also must be the God Who instructs us. And we should be willing to wait upon His timing. We tend to become very impatient, however, because we have already decided how God’s salvation should be applied to our particular situation. Consequently, we tend to spend less and less time searching for God’s instruction in the Word. David needed to be informed and led, and so do we!

Along with his confidence in God’s help, David realizes that he does not deserve this kind of care.

6 Remember your mercy, O Lord, and your steadfast love,
for they have been from of old.
7 Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions;
according to your steadfast love remember me,
for the sake of your goodness, O Lord!

David relies completely on God’s great grace and love, that provide forgiveness for his sins. His relationship with the Lord began on the basis of mercy and eternal love, and he knows that continuing on that foundation is his only hope.

Are we quick to forget our sins, and the immense grace we received upon our salvation? Are we aware of the immensity of God’s grace and love that surround us? Our relationship with God was unilaterally initiated by Him, and it continues only because of His steadfast love. Left to our inability to invite or merit this perfect love, we would be utterly lost.

David cannot forget that his God is perfect in His character.

8 Good and upright is the Lord;
therefore he instructs sinners in the way.
9 He leads the humble in what is right,
and teaches the humble his way.
10 All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness,
for those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.

David makes it so evident that God is upright and man is not. It is sinners whom God instructs in His ways. Although God is gracious and merciful, He still expects man to humbly come to Him for instruction and direction. Man must abandon any notion of self-righteousness or personal confidence. There are amazing blessings in walking with the Lord.

God desires our humble submission. In fact, it is when we are humble before Him that He can teach us and lead us. Those who humble themselves recognize their sin.

11 For Your name's sake, O Lord,
pardon my guilt, for it is great.
12 Who is the man who fears the Lord?
Him will He instruct in the way that he should choose.
13 His soul shall abide in well-being,
and his offspring shall inherit the land.
14 The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear him,
and He makes known to them his covenant.
15 My eyes are ever toward the Lord,
for He will pluck my feet out of the net.

David does not minimize his sin, for he knows there is no reason to minimize sin before God. First of all, He already knows about it, and secondly, His grace is sufficient to pardon it. Jesus said that if we love Him, we will obey His commands. David is saying the same truth. Those who fear the Lord are the ones whom God will instruct.

It is wise for us to regularly evaluate our lives and confess our sins. Only those who go to God for cleansing and correction, and walk in His ways, have true friendship with Him. How foolish we are, when we don’t, because our life seems too hard.

16 Turn to me and be gracious to me,
for I am lonely and afflicted.
17 The troubles of my heart are enlarged;
bring me out of my distresses.
18 Consider my affliction and my trouble,
and forgive all my sins.

David again reminds his God that he needs His grace, because life is truly causing him great sorrow and distress. We need to go to God in our times of troubles, not overlooking our need for forgiveness.

19 Consider how many are my foes,
and with what violent hatred they hate me.
20 Oh, guard my soul, and deliver me!
Let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.
21 May integrity and uprightness preserve me,
for I wait for you.

David pleads again, for he is hated, and the actions of his enemies are violent. He needs the Lord to protect his soul. He needs God’s help to keep his integrity.

Dear friend, when we are attacked by enemies, we, too, must go to God for help. May our chief concern be holiness and integrity, not revenge and personal justice. We can so easily become troubled and bitter, when we seek quick and earthly justice. May we learn to wait, as the Lord accomplishes His perfect will in us and in those who are against us.

Personal vengeance never produces the glory of God. It never produces peace in our heart. We will be sorry for the consequences of our lack of patience.

22 Redeem Israel, O God,
out of all his troubles.

David ends the Psalm, recognizing the need for God to redeem Israel. We know that God has been, and always will be, faithful to His promises to Israel, and we know that He has always been, and always will be, faithful to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment