Tuesday, May 12, 2015

THERE ARE TIMES WHEN PRAISING IS HARD!













A TIME FOR TEARS
  
Psalm 137:1-3
By the waters of Babylon,
there we sat down and wept,
when we remembered Zion.
On the willows there
we hung up our lyres.
For there our captors
required of us songs,
and our tormentors, mirth, saying,
“Sing us one of the songs of Zion!”

Have you ever been in a situation where singing and praising God seemed totally impossible? Where the desolation of a situation was overwhelming you?

The children of Israel knew it well. They were deported by the Babylonians, and then taunted by their captors to sing, when there was no desire in them to sing at all. Their lack of singing was not because they did not love Jerusalem, but because they were captives without the possibility of returning there.

They had been warned that their sin would bring on God’s judgment and they had been told that this was the reason they had been made captives. But now, utterly mournful, they waited for the day that God would forgive them and rescue them.

Sin brings consequences, and there are seasons when our sin weighs on us. The scars will indeed remain with us, but there is hope.

God desires total submission and dependence on Him, and He will do all that is necessary to bring His children back to Himself. We know that our Heavenly Father loves us and has promised to never forsake us. Although we forsake Him, He is faithful forever.

The children of Israel, over their long history of sinning against God in the scriptures, were shown mercy and forgiveness over and over again, when they cried out to Him in repentance. Today they are lost and far away from God, but they are not forsaken. They will be restored in due time!

No matter how many proud-hearted steps we have taken away from God, it takes just one humble step to return to Him: God expects repentance.

1 John 1:8-10
            If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

There is forgiveness for those who confess their sins, and complete restoration of our relationship with God. There will be consequences, there will be scars, but God will use them for His purposes. True repentance does not demand anything from God; it humbly accepts God’s work in our lives.

Our relationship with God begins by grace, and it is maintained by grace alone. We present ourselves to God, unable to offer anything, and we continue in total dependence upon His grace.

There are times of sorrow where singing seems hard or impossible, but they are seasons that will end, as God’s loving mercy embraces us. The world has no real hope, for they live distracted by their idols. True believers do not rely on distractions, but rather concentrate on the One Who died so that we could have hope.

Those who know this hope have a song, one that exalts the eternal love and grace of God. His great love does not overlook sin, but has generously provided a solution for it through faith in Christ’s atonement for our sins.

I, too, have scars and I know that my sin has had consequences, but I also know the grace of God. My job today is to live a life that pleases God, to warn others, and to proclaim the goodness of God.

David learned the consequences of his sins. He had the scars, but he also knew very well the joy of restoration after true repentance and again was able to serve His Lord. God gave him the privilege to write inspired Scriptures from what he learned.

Psalm 51:1-4
Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
blot out my transgressions.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
and cleanse me from my sin!
For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is ever before me.
Against you, you only, have I sinned
and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you may be justified in your words
and blameless in your judgment.

Psalm 51:7-8
Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones that you have broken rejoice.
           

Psalm 51:15-17
O Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth will declare your praise.
For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it;
you will not be pleased with a burnt offering.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.


God’s graciousness toward us is astounding; we are truly blessed! May we live in light of God’s steadfast love!

No comments:

Post a Comment