Thursday, May 14, 2015

THOSE WHO KNOW GOD’S GRACE MUST BE HUMBLE











BLESSED BY THE PROMISES!

Psalm 138:1-3
I give you thanks, O LORD, with my whole heart;
before the gods I sing your praise;
I bow down toward your holy temple
and give thanks to your name for your steadfast love and your faithfulness,
for you have exalted above all things
your name and your word.
On the day I called, you answered me;
my strength of soul you increased.

We are not sure what the occasion for this psalm of David is. There is a possibility that he is referring to the Davidic covenant. For sure, God’s characteristics cause David to praise his LORD: His steadfast love, His faithfulness, for being the only true God, for His sovereign position, for His character, for His trustworthy word, for answered prayer, and for strengthening of a man’s soul. There is no doubt that these are also reasons for us to be grateful to God. May our gratitude be as complete and clear as David’s was!

The most amazing part of the Davidic covenant was the promise of a coming Messiah Who would reign forever.

2 Samuel 7:11-17
        …Moreover, the LORD declares to you that the LORD will make you a house. When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son. When he commits iniquity, I will discipline him with the rod of men, with the stripes of the sons of men, but my steadfast love will not depart from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away from before you. And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me. Your throne shall be established forever.’” In accordance with all these words, and in accordance with all this vision, Nathan spoke to David.
       
One day every knee will bow, and every king and authority will recognize the authority of the LORD. God’s word will be recognized as true and He will be truly glorified by all. David’s recognition of the high position of God could not help but remind us all of our own humble position before God. Those who truly worship God cannot approach Him with haughtiness or pride.

Psalm 138:4-6
All the kings of the earth shall give you thanks, O LORD,
for they have heard the words of your mouth,
and they shall sing of the ways of the LORD,
for great is the glory of the LORD.
For though the LORD is high, he regards the lowly,
but the haughty he knows from afar.

God sees the heart, so the arrogance and pride of man is clearly visible to him.

Micah 6:6-8
With what shall I come before the LORD,
and bow myself before God on high?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
with calves a year old?
Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams,
with ten thousands of rivers of oil?
Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression,
the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?”
He has told you, O man, what is good;
and what does the LORD require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God?

1 Peter 5:5
        …Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”

Humility before God will also produce appropriate humility before men. Unless God works in our hearts, we will never be the obedient and humble people we should be. Our prayer must be to ask God for His help, as we live our lives among God’s enemies.

Psalm 138:7-8
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
you preserve my life;
you stretch out your hand against the wrath of my enemies,
and your right hand delivers me.
The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me;
your steadfast love, O LORD, endures forever.
Do not forsake the work of your hands.

What a privilege it is, to know that God’s hand is there to deliver us. God has purposes for us that He will fulfill. David knew that the Lord would not leave His work undone. Even though I am sure there were times when David knew he did not deserve God’s grace, and times when the fulfillment of His promises was not evident, he did know that God’s steadfast love and faithfulness were his assurance and certain hope.


As we live our lives, we should also remember that our relationship with God is based on His grace. We therefore approach God in total humility, trusting His steadfast love and faithfulness to continue the work that He has begun in us. These truths produced gratitude and praise in David’s life, and they should do the same for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment