Thursday, May 21, 2015

WHY DO YOU FEEL ALONE?















GOD IS HERE, I CANNOT HIDE!


Psalm 139:1
O LORD, you have searched me and known me!

David has dealt with the scrutiny in his life by the all-knowing God. The omniscience of God was cause for both fear and amazement in the life of David. As the writer continues his song of praise to the LORD, he speaks of one more very important attribute of God.

Psalm 139:7-12
Where shall I go from your Spirit?
Or where shall I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
If I take the wings of the morning
and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
even there your hand shall lead me,
and your right hand shall hold me.
If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me,
and the light about me be night,
even the darkness is not dark to you;
the night is bright as the day,
for darkness is as light with you.

Not only does God know everything, but He is also everywhere. The way David speaks of this attribute of God suggests that he is reacting to God's omniscience. In other words, it almost seems that although he is awed by the caring scrutiny of God, his fearful response is to want to hide.

But there is no place where he can hide, no place where he can run, and even the darkness of night cannot provide him with privacy.

There is no doubt that our lives would be different if we lived in total awareness that every action was visible to others. I know that my behavior is often affected by the presence of watching human eyes. Therefore, my behavior should be overwhelmingly affected by my awareness of the presence of God!

Every choice to sin proves that I am not taking into account the truth that God is completely aware of what I am doing. I might hide things from men, but nothing is hidden from God.
                                                                      
On the positive side, Gods presence should give us an incredible sense of peace. To know that we are never far from our heavenly Father should cause us to have such rest in Him that fretting and worrying should never be part of our thinking.

David not only makes us aware of the presence of God, but also makes it clear that He is actively present. His hand will lead us and His right hand will hold us. Let us not gloss over these encouraging and amazing truths!

God is always there to lead us. There is no place where He does not go before us, no place where we need to fend for ourselves. He knows where we are, He is where we are, and He holds us when we need to be held.

When I feel alone, my feelings are wrong. If I feel abandoned, that is never true. When I feel crushed, Gods hand is there to hold me. Paul knew very well that God would lead him into hard times so that he would become more aware of Gods presence and care, and display to others his dependence upon that care, which then glorifies the Lord.

2 Corinthians 4:7-10
            But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies.

What an amazing truth: when I am going through a hard time, Gods intention is for me to become more dependent on Him and to become more aware of His presence, and ultimately for Him to receive more glory, as our trust and peace in Him is observed.

We might be far from every one we know, but God is always near! We might feel that we are in a very dark tunnel, but for God there is no darkness!

As we reflect on these truths, two things should happen: The awareness of Gods presence should be a deterrent to sin and it should be a deterrent to despair.

Again, the scrutiny of God is amazing. Not only does He know everything about me, but He is also always close to me.

May our decisions, attitudes, actions, and reactions reflect our awareness of these attributes of God. We are totally cared for!

No comments:

Post a Comment