Friday, February 3, 2017

BLESSED FROM BIRTH TO ETERNITY!







GOD’S CARE AND PROTECTION IS CONTINUAL, JUST AS OUR PRAISE SHOULD BE

Psalm 71:1-3
In you, O LORD, do I take refuge;
let me never be put to shame!
In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me;
incline your ear to me, and save me!
Be to me a rock of refuge,
to which I may continually come;
you have given the command to save me,
for you are my rock and my fortress.

The writer of this psalm humbly approaches the LORD as his refuge and rescuer. His reliance on God is not something new, but a way of life for him. He relies on God’s promise to save him and will continue to come to Him for help.

Psalm 71:4-6
Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked,
from the grasp of the unjust and cruel man.
For You, O Lord, are my hope,
my trust, O LORD, from my youth.
Upon You I have leaned from before my birth;
You are he who took me from my mother's womb.
My praise is continually of You.

Difficulties have accompanied him through his life. Unjust and cruel men are always around, but since his youth, his trust has been in the power of the LORD. He knew that God had been active in his life since conception.

What a wonderful thought, to know that God is our protector and was even caring for us before we were born. This amazing truth surely gives great assurance to all expectant parents. There are no mistakes; there is not one birth that was not part of God’s perfect plan. And as children grow up, through the many challenges of life, God is still continually involved and overseeing their care.

As I think of broken families and difficult situations, it is so reassuring to know that God is in control.  We all probably are aware of the heart-rending circumstances of children abandoned by their parents, or of times when an ungodly influence is affecting children we love. What a comfort it is, to know that as we pray, God has been and will be involved in those lives.

And as we grow older, it is also a great comfort to know that God continues to be lovingly aware of the needs of those we love.

Psalm 71:7-11
I have been as a portent to many,
but you are my strong refuge.
My mouth is filled with your praise,
and with your glory all the day.
Do not cast me off in the time of old age;
forsake me not when my strength is spent.
For my enemies speak concerning me;
those who watch for my life consult together
and say, “God has forsaken him;
pursue and seize him,
for there is none to deliver him.”

As the writer continues to reflect on his life, he recognizes that, with the waning of strength in old age, he will need God’s help even more. He knows that for some, his difficulties are a sign that God has abandoned him; for others, his refuge in God is an encouragement.  

Psalm 71:12-16
O God, be not far from me;
O my God, make haste to help me!
May my accusers be put to shame and consumed;
with scorn and disgrace may they be covered
who seek my hurt.
But I will hope continually
and will praise you yet more and more.
My mouth will tell of your righteous acts,
of your deeds of salvation all the day,
for their number is past my knowledge.
With the mighty deeds of the Lord GOD I will come;
I will remind them of your righteousness, yours alone.

His hope continues to be in the Lord, his mouth will continue to be a testimony of God’s care. The author realizes that he cannot even think of the number of God’s works on his behalf throughout his life; all he knows is that he has received more than enough blessings to fill his words with praise all day long.

What a blessing it is to hear the lips of older people producing continuous proclamation and praise for their God! And how wonderful it is, to know that God’s care of our loved ones will continue as they begin to age.

Dear friends, God inspired this psalm to give us a great sense of hope in Him from birth to grave. His love and care are wonderful. Our mouths should be filled with His praise. Our words should point those around us to the protective love of our God.


As you take time today to pray for those in need, may you rejoice in the providential care of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment