Tuesday, February 14, 2017

DOES IT BOTHER YOU WHEN THE WICKED PROSPER?











THE CHILDREN OF GOD ARE PRIVILEGED TO BE HELD BY GOD!

Psalm 73:1-3
Truly God is good to Israel,
to those who are pure in heart.
But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled,
my steps had nearly slipped.
For I was envious of the arrogant
when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

Have you struggled with the prosperity of those who do not love God? Have you wondered why even those who mistreat you seem to get away with it and do well? As they prosper, they become arrogant and demeaning toward believers. These kinds of feelings are not new at all. The observations of the psalmist are quite similar to ours.

Psalm 73:4-9
For they have no pangs until death;
their bodies are fat and sleek.
They are not in trouble as others are;
they are not stricken like the rest of mankind.
Therefore pride is their necklace;
violence covers them as a garment.
Their eyes swell out through fatness;
their hearts overflow with follies.
They scoff and speak with malice;
loftily they threaten oppression.
They set their mouths against the heavens,
and their tongue struts through the earth.

Our superficial observations can easily produce wrong conclusions in our minds and those will certainly produce wrong attitudes in our hearts. Worst of all, we are driven to be disappointed with God for He is dealing with them and ultimately with us.

Psalm 73:10-15
Therefore his people turn back to them,
and find no fault in them.
And they say, “How can God know?
Is there knowledge in the Most High?”
Behold, these are the wicked;
always at ease, they increase in riches.
All in vain have I kept my heart clean
and washed my hands in innocence.
For all the day long I have been stricken
and rebuked every morning.
If I had said, “I will speak thus,”
I would have betrayed the generation of your children.

The author expresses his thoughts: that he was wasting his time, that being faithful was almost not worth it. How easily we can get caught up with these subtle temptations to wonder if it is worth it to be honest, when the world is a place where dishonesty and arrogance are rewarded. Can you believe that we can become so concentrated on the temporal that we lose sight of what has eternal purpose? When the wicked have the upper hand; how and where do we find help?

Psalm 73:16-17
But when I thought how to understand this,
it seemed to me a wearisome task,
until I went into the sanctuary of God;
then I discerned their end.

Left to our own thoughts, finding an explanation will be difficult and the more we dwell in fleshly terms, the more bitter and discouraged we will become. WE MUST GO TO GOD! Only in His Word we will find help. Only by permeating our minds with eternal thoughts can we find peace. It is so important that we do not let our hearts drive us away from church. Dear friends, who is influencing your life? Is it the Word of God? Are you surrounded by believers who will help you fix your eyes on Jesus?

I have struggled, as I watched dear friends, faithful to the Lord, become ill and suffer. I have had difficulty, as I watched believers lose their jobs and struggle financially because they would not participate in evil situations, or lie for their superiors. I have also wondered why faithful servants of God have had to struggle through family difficulties and hurt. The author of this psalm had resolved to trust God.

Psalm 73:23-26
Nevertheless, I am continually with you;
you hold my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will receive me to glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

The author does not look elsewhere for help. What a beautiful thought: that God is holding his right hand. He listens to God’s voice and knows that even if all in his earthly life fails, he will still be received in glory by God. His God is in heaven; no one else matters. Nothing is more important; earthly things do not attract his heart. He might lose all and even die, but he loves his God and there he will find his strength.

Dear friend, are you tempted to let the temporary overshadow the eternal? Your heavenly father is holding your hand, He is leading you home. And all during this journey home, He is transforming you more and more into the image of His Son.

During dark times, many are tempted to meditate less upon God’s Word, and think more about the difficulties of life, or to spend more time alone, than with their brothers and sisters in Christ. Don’t do that! Don’t let the favorable circumstances or prosperity of the wicked rob you of the joy of holding the hand of God and the privilege of calling Him ‘Father’!

Psalm 73:27-28
For behold, those who are far from you shall perish;
you put an end to everyone who is unfaithful to you.
But for me it is good to be near God;
I have made the Lord GOD my refuge,
that I may tell of all your works.

The wicked will not prosper forever, and their end is sure! Will you and I, like the psalmist, wholeheartedly believe that what is good is to be near God? Even though we might face difficulties, God is not far. He is our only safe refuge and we must proclaim His goodness to all those around us.


Yes, it is very possible that today you will witness the reality of wicked people who prosper, but you can also live the reality of the loving care of your Father in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment