Tuesday, March 31, 2015

ARE YOU REALLY TRUSTING GOD TODAY?













I AM NOT IN CONTROL!

Psalm 125
Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion,
which cannot be moved, but abides forever.
As the mountains surround Jerusalem,
so the LORD surrounds his people,
from this time forth and forevermore.
For the scepter of wickedness shall not rest
on the land allotted to the righteous,
lest the righteous stretch out
their hands to do wrong.
Do good, O LORD, to those who are good,
and to those who are upright in their hearts!
But those who turn aside to their crooked ways
the LORD will lead away with evildoers!
Peace be upon Israel!

Am I as steadfast as I should be? Do I tend to waver? Am I easily discouraged? Is my life like a roller coaster? Am I bitter? Am I angry? Am I unforgiving? Am I worried? The list of questions could go on and on, but if any of these are true of me, then my lack of trust in the LORD is exposed.

Those who trust God are like a mountain that cannot be moved; their assurance never fails.

Trusting the Lord allows us to place our security in the One who never changes, the One who is eternally faithful, the One who is wise, loving, just, providential, powerful, and so much more. In fact, trusting in the Lord is like being surrounded by stable mountains.

It is so interesting that when you read worldly advice, the emphasis is always put on trusting in yourself, loving yourself, not allowing others to shake you: becoming a self-sufficient person!

True believers have understood and believed that trusting in self is not only unwise, it’s downright damaging. It is amazing how many “Christians” mix self with their view of God. So many believe that “God helps those who help themselves” is found in the Bible, or at least  reflects biblical principles.

This is a case where bad doctrine encourages us to feed our natural sinful predisposition.

Luke 9:23-24
            And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.

Can these words be any clearer? Our self-made goals, our earthly endeavors, do not lead us in a submissive, trusting walk in the steps of our Savior. 

Galatians 5:24-26
            And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Our life needs to be always on alert, suppressing our sinful desires, yielding to the Spirit, allowing Scriptures to renew our thoughts and desires.

Galatians 6:14
            But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

All we do and trust should glorify the work of Christ and obliterate any self-praise.
           
I say that I believe these truths, but I so quickly allow self to take control and drive my actions and reactions!

David, as he wrote this Psalm, expressed total dependence upon God for every situation in his life, for Israel, and for the final outcome.

As we reflect upon our lives, we certainly need to trust God completely. John the Baptist understood this truth:

John 3:30
            He must increase, but I must decrease.”

Not only should we trust God with our own lives, but also with the lives of those whom we love and care for. We are often overwhelmed by the sinfulness or the needs of others, and then try to encourage spiritual progress in their lives by our own efforts. We should learn, rather, to pray earnestly for them and trust God to accomplish what only He can do.


Do you need this reminder as much as I do? How easily we forget that we are utterly and blessedly dependent upon God for ALL things!

No comments:

Post a Comment