Tuesday, March 10, 2015

DO NOT OVERLOOK THIS!












I HAVE A TREASURE!

Going through this amazing Psalm 119 has caused me to meditate about the Word of God and its effect upon those who trust and obey it. I need to continually be reminded about what a wonderful gift it is to me. Meditating on the value of the Scriptures not only creates in me an ongoing gratitude, but also a greater love and desire to know the Word and apply it to my life. As I review some of my favorite verses, I trust that they will produce in you the same results.

The Word of God is totally different from my natural way of thinking.

Isaiah 55:8-9
For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

The Word of God always produces God’s intended purposes.

Isaiah 55:10-11
“For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven
and do not return there but water the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.

The Word of God was God’s work.

2 Peter 1:19-21
        And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts, knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone's own interpretation. For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

The Word of God produces faith.

Romans 10:17
          So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

The Word of God is inspired by God and it equips us.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
        All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

The Word of God matures us.

1 Peter 2:2-3
        Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation—if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.
       
The Word of God actively works in us.

Hebrews 4:12-13
        For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

The Word of God directs our life

Joshua 1:8
        This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

The Word of God protects us from sin.

Psalm 19:11
Moreover, by them is your servant warned;
in keeping them there is great reward.

The Word of God is eternal.

Matthew 24:35
          Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

There are other verses and passages in the Scriptures that remind us of the value of this supernatural Book that we all have in our homes. All too often, it remains closed when it should be the most well-read book in our daily lives. We let so many activities run our lives, which leave us thinking we do not have time to meditate the Scriptures.

The writer of Psalm 1 knew the value of the Scriptures and he acted in accordance to it.

Psalm 1:2
but his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night.

And obviously, beyond meditating, we also need to obey the Scriptures.

James 1:22-25
        But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.

My prayer today is that I will have a renewed love for the Scriptures, and for its work in me. As I meditate on the value of the Word of God, it should have a profound effect on the way I use my time, what I use to influence my family and friends, how I choose my church, whether I go to Bible studies and what determines my choice of which to attend. In other words, it should have a profound effect on all my daily decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment