Tuesday, March 24, 2015

DOES BEING A SLAVE BOTHER YOU?













BEING GOD’S SLAVE ALSO MEANS THAT HE HAS TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY TO CARE FOR US!

Psalm 123
To you I lift up my eyes,
O you who are enthroned in the heavens!
Behold, as the eyes of servants
look to the hand of their master,
as the eyes of a maidservant
to the hand of her mistress,
so our eyes look to the LORD our God,
till he has mercy upon us.
Have mercy upon us, O LORD, have mercy upon us,
for we have had more than enough of contempt.
Our soul has had more than enough
of the scorn of those who are at ease,
of the contempt of the proud.

The image of a servant was vivid for those Jews who were returning to Jerusalem. Total dependence and total commitment to a master was very familiar to them.

Such a concept as servants and masters is unfamiliar to our daily lives. Although we try to understand, it is hard for us to know what it really meant to live in utter submission and dependence on someone else.

A slave had no other place to go; his treatment was completely at the mercy of his owner. A servant had no control over his life or even the use of his time. He had one and only one responsibility: to serve his master. Serving was what he did when he got up, and serving was what he did until he went to bed. He got up when he was told, and went to bed when he was told he had done enough for the day. He was fed and cared for according to the decisions of his master.

When a master did not treat his servant well, there were no alternatives but to bear up beneath the demands of his master.

As the Israelites journeyed back to Jerusalem, they looked to the LORD for their provision, and to find mercy in His presence. Their lives were hard, living in the midst of those who had no respect for them or for their God.

As we live our lives, are we aware of our relationship with our Master, Jesus Christ the Lord?

John 12:25-26
        Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.

When we look to God to take care of our needs, are we recognizing our total dependence on Him and our need to be totally devoted to Him?
One of the verses that has always caused me to think about my relationship to Christ is found in Luke.

Luke 17:7-10
        “Will any one of you who has a servant plowing or keeping sheep say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come at once and recline at table’? Will he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare supper for me, and dress properly, and serve me while I eat and drink, and afterward you will eat and drink’? Does he thank the servant because he did what was commanded? So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.’”
       
I love the fact that I can look to God to take care of me, but I should never overlook my duty to serve Him faithfully and without expectations. As I think of the cost of Christ dying for my sins, I realize all the more the care and love that the Father has for His servants.

May we live our lives totally committed to our Heavenly Father, to whom alone we look for help, in difficult circumstances and in the midst of many who love neither God, nor those who serve Him.

Being slaves of a perfect Master is a privilege: may our attitudes reflect this truth!



No comments:

Post a Comment