Thursday, March 19, 2015

GOD IS WORKING IN YOUR LIFE!













A JOURNEY UNDER THE SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD!

Psalm 122
 was glad when they said to me,
“Let us go to the house of the LORD!”
Our feet have been standing
within your gates, O Jerusalem!
Jerusalem—built as a city
that is bound firmly together,
to which the tribes go up,
the tribes of the LORD,
as was decreed for Israel,
to give thanks to the name of the LORD.
There thrones for judgment were set,
the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem!
“May they be secure who love you!
Peace be within your walls
and security within your towers!”
For my brothers and companions' sake
I will say, “Peace be within you!”
For the sake of the house of the LORD our God,
I will seek your good.

In this Psalm of ascent the writer, David, rejoices at the fact that the tabernacle is back in Jerusalem and that he is able to see Jerusalem regain its stature.

David remembers well when he had been recognized as King and, having defeated the Jebusites, had established Jerusalem as the center of his reign. He called it ‘the city of David’. He also remembered how the Ark of the Covenant had been brought back to Jerusalem by him.

Although 2 Samuel 6 describes how the returning of the Ark had exposed David’s sin, at the end there was great joy.

As the pilgrims would come back to Jerusalem, singing these words brought back to their memories the sovereignty of God and His great care for Jerusalem. It also evoked in their minds the fact that God expected them to follow His instructions, and that there was great joy in submission to God.

At the time of David, Jerusalem was not as large and as wonderful as it would be under the reign of Solomon. Even in these verses there is a sense of expectation about what God would do in the future.

We know that perfect peace will be found in Jerusalem only when Christ, the eternal King, will reign forever.  

Jerusalem, meaning ‘city of peace’, has been a city of much strife over the years. But one day, peace will reign forever. As the pilgrims came back to Jerusalem, they shared in the joy of being in the city they loved. And they also participated in prayers for the peace of this city, where those who worship God would find peace.

As we look at the work of God, and His love for the Jews and Jerusalem, we are certainly encouraged in our own walk. As I read the Old Testament, I am continually reminded of the fact that God is in sovereign control over all, and that He desires that we walk in step with His will. One cannot overlook the fact that God rebuked and punished His chosen people, but He also showed continued grace toward them in bringing them back to their homeland.

Looking back at my own life, I can see how many times God has shown me His faithfulness when He has rebuked me and caused me to return to Him. I know the reality of the joy and peace that is found when I followed His ways, and the darkness of those times during which I wandered.

As believers, we long for the day when God will establish His perfect reign and we will know perfect peace. We are also reminded of our responsibility to be light to those around us. Certainly the Jews failed many times and we do also, but our lives should be lights in this dark world.

Knowing that God keeps His promises, and that man cannot limit Him or change His plans, gives me great peace, while facing daily difficulties. God will continue to do His perfect work in me, as He continues to mold me into the image of His Son.

I rejoice in God’s faithfulness, and in the fact that I have brothers and sisters who accompany me on this journey. Take time to thank God for His love, and take time to thank those brothers and sisters who are being used by God in your life!


No comments:

Post a Comment